Stolen bicyle - first time for me.

xerxes

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Just had my trusty "Shopping" bike stolen:

I've always taken great care with my bicycles, never leave them unattended and unlocked, but my bike went missing from the hallway outside the flat. It was in an entrance that is locked but shared with the two flats next door; I can only assume that someone left the door open and someone else came along and helped themselves. It's been absolutely fine for two years, but lesson learned and the replacement won't live in the hallway or will be locked to a wall anchor.

Just in case anyone spots it, it's quite distinctive:

Marin13.jpg

Marin14.jpg

Marin16.jpg

Not much to look at, but it rode well enough and I kept it well maintained. The galling thing is some git will only get 20 or 30 pounds for it, but it's a decent Marin Pine Mountain frame and with all the little odds and sods like mudguards and light brackets, etc., it's probably going to cost the best part of £200 to £250 to replace. Ironically, the £65.00 super heavy duty Kryptonite lock was in the frame bag and stolen with it. :facepalm:

Re:

Ouch. A good thing to do if a wall anchor is too much of a pain is to get hold of some weight plates or a kettlebell and chain the bike to them. Or - I wish I'd thought of this before, because it should be really cheap - maybe mix a nice heavy bucket of concrete with a chain embedded in it? Even 10kg of extra weight is a serious nuisance and 20kg is a nightmare to carry at the same time as a bike.

But really you have nothing to reproach yourself for - it's obvious you were careful.

Been in your shoes and its a really bad sinking feeling .
Can only hope Plod comes up triumphs :)

Re:

Tell you what purple frog.Your concrete idea is excellent. Shove some coils of fencing wire in there as well so it will hold together when they try and smash it.Always a worry when bikes are in a shed.Bike thieves have no idea how much attachment we have for our bikes.To them its just a quick few quid for doing nothing

Re:

Thanks for the votes of sympathy.

I've reported it stolen to the police, but don't hold out much hope of seeing it again. :(

Sorry to hear this. Have you tried putting adverts on yout local gumtree and indeed further afield. That will kill the market. Try offering a no questions asked reward?

Latest posts

Back