Post subject: Own up! was it you?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:52 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-30851989

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:09 pm 
Old School Grand Master

It seems the driver has turned himself in: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/va ... 83400.html

Post subject: Re: Own up! was it you?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:56 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

cool.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:51 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Bastard.

We shoukd contact the company to sack the idiotic oik.

WTF is wrong with some people.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:05 pm 
Retro Guru

People such as the cyclist undertaking a van whilst travelling through a junction..?
I hope the police want to speak to him about that too...

No defence for the obvious assault, but unfortunate that in this case (from the limited video footage clip on the BBC) that the bike guy appears to be the instigator.
Now it may be the case that he was overtaken by the van who then cut in front of him and this caused an apparent undertake - in which case I retract my above assumption, but it's poor behaviour from both the driver, passenger (who did nothing!) and cyclist all-round.

Never, ever over(or under!)take at a junction.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:33 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

The rider has spoken to the Police and does not want to press charges.

In my experience punishment passes / kerb crushing is pretty standard fare for any cyclist who has the bare faced cheek and sheer audacity to overtake a stationary / slow moving / stuck in traffic car, so is overtaking a bike then slamming the brakes on (often to turn left or right) I even had a car indicate left and start to pull into the kerb while it was overtaking me, I had to brake hard to avoid being pushed into the kerb and when I then overtook the car the driver started shouting at me; I hadn't said a thing. Meh!

BTW, I don't live in a city and I don't commute, so it must be far far worse for those that do.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:18 pm 
Retro Guru

Not surprised the van driver was from Billericay. I pass close by the three Bs on my regular weekend rides (Basildon, Brentwood, Billericay) and its Bandit country full of Brainless Burks. I have lost count of the amount of nasty stuff I have experienced over the years.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:41 pm 
Anglian AEC / Prison Ship Captain
Anglian AEC / Prison Ship Captain

not standing up for what the driver did as it was out of order but the cyclist involved is a bit of a see you next Tuesday his you tube channel is him going around winding car drivers up and him breaking the law. He keeps trying to get a rise out of drivers and provoking them so no wonder van drivers and car drivers hate cyclists and aim for us with complete tits like him on the road shouting "I have a camera and know my rights" shame he doesn't know the highway code.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:52 am 
Retro Guru

It's not the cyclist's channel. Apparently he removed it from his own channel quite quickly but this person has reposted it.

According to https://totalcarcheck.co.uk/FreeCheck?r ... &referrer= the van's MOT expired in September, three months before the incident and still hasn't been renewed.

Do victims really have to make a complaint before anything will be done about it? If I was assaulted and left in a coma would I have to wake up before the police would investigate?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:05 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

This incident aside, but some cyclists (mostly commuters) need to get over this persecution complex they have towards other road users.

I drive a lot of business miles every week and have done for something over 30 years now and I know that there are an increasing number of aggressive , inattentive, myopic and generally bad drivers out there.

I accept that there are drivers who aim aggression specifically at cyclists, I have had enough deliberate punishment passes, late pull out / pull in / turns and verbal abuse to know that, but I get similar things happen when I am riding my horse on the road, and in general I see so much cr@p driving during a normal working day that I do not take it personally when some of it effects me. Although, the young blond girl who braked hard at 85M.P.H and then cut across all three lanes of the M5, missing the front of my car by millimetres as she passed through the middle lane, did get my attention for a few minutes last week.

All of that said, I do have a camera which I use on my training road bike, but I use it as a dash cam really, JIC someone does something especially stupid or dangerous.

My feeling is that as a cyclist (road user), you don't need to go looking for trouble, it will find you soon enough, and when it does happen, provided you are not physically effected, just shrug it off and know that whatever that driver did to you they will shortly do to someone else, it's not personal, that driver is just a plonker.