it's postage... AND PACKING!!!

grogee

Retro Guru
One of the things that gets my goat is people who moan about postage charges.

For non-shop types like me, the P&P cost has to cover:

- Packaging materials eg cardboard, tape, bubble wrap etc
- Time to package. Not to be underestimated on weird-shaped items
- Time to stand in the queue at post office
- Cost of fuel to get to and from post office
- Cost of parking while at post office

Plus, of course, the postal charges themselves.

Obviously the non-postal charges are minimum but they are not zero... I don't do this for charity.

Anyway if people don't want to pay the charges they are welcome to come round my house and collect...

Rant over :evil:

Oh you forgot to mention ink in the pen too!

I used to sell stacks of stuff on forums & ebay and all I had to purchase was brown sticky tape!

TESCO's will gladly give you bubble wrap/box's/card for free! Infact most supermarkets will!

I thought this was going to be a sarcastic rant about the lack of packaging in a parcel and that the goods had been damaged.

I only ever have to pay for tape, card is always popping through the door in some shape or form, bubble wrap, struth we have to give some back to Tesco's we get so much from it from them. as to getting to the post office, it takes me 1.5 hours every time, I don't have a car :oops: :facepalm: so I have a long walk, but time costs me nothing as my wages are not docked when I go to the post office, I get 8p an hour whatever :LOL:

Alison

Frankly I'm just happy to get rid of some of the metalwork I've accumulated, so I'll gladly take it to the post office for free. I buy a lot of my stuff online so I get loads of packaging for free and I'm happy to pass that on too. :D

Re:

I am a complete tightwad so I save everything that people send me and I recycle it when posting, I am doing it as we speak on a crank I have just sold ;) :D

agreed with the others. I recycle all the packaging I get from things I've bought. Or ask my friendly LBS for a bike box on occasion, which I get free. I walk to the PO, or get it collected from my place. It's our hobby, so the time thing doesn't come into it. I only pay for tape, and for postage. I charge only for postage, I'm not that tight.

I have my staff do it. Their salaries are all inclusive, and they relish an opportunity to see daylight on a nice trip to the local shops, so I don't feel a need to pass the cost on.

Alison":28oqiomc said:
bubble wrap, struth we have to give some back to Tesco's we get so much from it from them.
Last year Alison, I asked my local TESCO's to save me a bit of bubble wrap and a day later I got a phone telling me to pick the stuff up! Three giant black wheelie bin liners full!! I didn't know what to do with it, Some came in nice neat squares which are used under fruit in the card fruit box's, I actually sold some on ebay for a tenner and was sent by free postage.

Back