Cracked iPad screen - DIY replacement?

fjpshaw

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Managed to crack the screen on my iPad. It's is just the front glass, not the LCD that is damaged. I've seen replacement glass on eBay for £15 and wondered if anyone has got any experience of these kits? Online DIY tutorials don't seem too scary either. Is it worth it, or are DIY fixes a false economy?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190921711948? ... 1438.l2649

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Try here: http://www.ifixit.com/Device/iPad

I replaced the battery in a friends iPhone 4s which was easy enough and took about 15 minutes, but I didn't want to tackle replacing the home button on another iPhone because it meant taking virtually the whole thing to pieces. In short, some jobs are fairly straight forward on some models, but others are a bit of a nightmare.

I replaced the screen on an iphone 3gs and an iphone 4. The 4 was easier than the 3gs, but fiddly because of the tiny screws. I learned how to do it by watching vids on youtube. It might be easy. But, on the iphone 4, I bought a touch screen as the lcd was ok and found out that I had to buy the screen with the lcd attached as it is virtually impossible to separate the lcd from the screen. £10 wasted but a lesson learned. I dont know if the ipad is the same as iphone 4 where the lcd it glued to the screen or like the 3gs where it is attached with double sided tape strips.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR0RPcQWpt4

ipad screens are totally different that iphone 4. I have replaced quite a few on each. the digitizer (glass that you touch) is glued to a black plastic frame that sits inside the ipad. In the bottom left corner there is a multi ribbon that connects to the main board, in the top there is a camera and wifi signal wires, in the bottom right corner there is also a multi ribbon stuck to the underside of the glass.
the glass isnt stuck to the screen at all but you still have to remove the screen to access the glasse's multi ribbon plug. none of it is particularly difficult to do but there are common traps so heres what to do.
cover the screen in packing tape (clear) to stop it cracking and make sure all the glass comes out (you really, really dont want even the smallest sliver left in there.
get a heat gun (not a hair dryer) and gently heat the black part of the glass ALL the way around for longer than you think, then using a plastic pry tool (like a gasket scraper) start from the top corner and just work the tool in around 3-4mm and gently twist to start removing the glass (keep the heat from the heat gun concentrated on this area) there is a tiny black rubber seal between the class and the housing, the pry tool goes in between this rubber and the glass, not the metal case and the rubber.
do this all the way around being super careful not to touch the wires with the tool (you will break them) so you are working from the top down. if you go from the bottom you will break the wires as you want the glass to 'hinge' open on the bottom edge.
once off then the fun begins.
undo the little screws that hold the lcd down and remove it. of course you will be doing this sat at a table with a towel under the ipad so when you drop the screws they dont go anywhere, only a doofus would be doing this sat on the sofa on their lap.
remover the ribbon cable for the digitizer.
check the bottom right corner for any deformation there is a black thing that looks like trunking that bends out in the very corner, if its bulging out then the screen wont sit level with the frame.
use the 2mm double sided tape that you have already got from ebay (the stuff in the kit is shite) and attach it to the black frame ready for the new glass.
fit the ribbon from the glass then while your faithful assistant is holding the new glass at a right angle to the ipad you can fit the lcd that you have meticulously cleaned with a baby soft cloth back in.
while your faithful assistant is still holding the glass (probably quite bored now so don't use kids/wifes) remove the backing of the tape and place the glass down.
breath a sigh of relief after checking the glass has sat flush and reap the rewards of your labour. (about an hour)
hope this helps

I forgot to add, the 'home button' is fixed to the bottom of the glass using the worlds smallest screws and the frame for it will only go in one way so take a picture of it clearly showing the orientation so you dont forget, and its not self centering either so make sure it is perfectly center when you go to fit it to the new glass.
the tool kit is utter garbage, the blue triangle thing that looks like a plectrum is ok for keeping the glass away from the frame while you work your way around prying it open but you will need about 10 of them.
the little screwdrivers you get in the 'kit' are shite, go and buy some decent quality jewelers ones. if you plan on doing this more than once.

to answer the original question, that replacement screen is fine yes. (it doesnt come with the home button as pictured or the tape attached either)

Wow, amazing response! And pretty much confirms a YouTube vid I had seen showing what to do. I'm (hopefully) only going to do this once, but I'm sure I have a watchmakers toolkit somewhere with some stupidly small screwdrivers in it. I had heard that the adhesive on the cheaper eBay screens can be a bit ropey - any truth?

Back