Mosquito bites, any tips?

Bpool77

Senior Retro Guru
Recently moved to Spain and my missis is getting plagued, attacked torcherd of them? I've not been bit once though?after googling it We've got lavender air freshners, plug in mossy thingy ma jigs horrible stinky candles but nothing is stopping them? Any one any ideas????

Also bikes are €€€€€ expensive here halfrouds quality BSO types €400+ :shock: ( that's just something I wanted to moan at :LOL: )

Deet is the main deterrent, I use the sprays or wipes such as Jungle Formula that you put on the back of neck, legs, ankles & feet, anywhere really.
Also I have been told using citrus soap when you shower/wash helps to fend them off.

And once they have bitten, get some antihistamines, turns the bites into little annoying nips, instead of festering puss filled sores.

BTW, it will get better. First year after we moved here i got bitten to hell and back, all massive uncomfortable, itchy bites.
Now i'm used to the bites, and the local varieties of mossies, its back to what i used to get in the UK. A pain, but not the end of the world.

Try your local english language forum too, someone else near you may have a better, local, solution.

Thanks fellas, that's my mission for the day attempting to buy things from Spanish shops should be fun :LOL:

Unfortunately some people are more prone to attack than others, not sure why though (scent, skin characteristics, whatever?). Plenty of mozzies where i live and while i only get bitten very occassionally, my [ex]girlfriend got bitten like crazy. Recently had my mother and sister over from UK for their holiday, no problem for my mother but sister was bitten a lot - and the effect the bites had was much more severe on my sister's skin - large itchy red patches.

Remember mozzies are most active at dusk, so it's a good idea to keep external windows and doors closed in the evening, this stops them invading your house and causing misery all night as they buzz around while you try in vain to sleep.
You could consider screen doors or window screens if you really want to enjoy breezy open windows during sundown.

Covering the skin is the ultimate protection so instead of shorts and t-shirt, you could try a comfy loose cotton or linen long sleeve shirt and trousers - especially in the evening. Summer safari type clothing. Socks are a good idea because they love to bite ankles.

Mozzies hate moving air, so fit ceiling fans or get a couple of free-standing fans for your balcony/patio.

If they bother you at night and you struggle to swat them the trick is to use yourself as bait. Lurk under your bedsheet lying on your back with all skin covered except your face and ears. Lay still, relax, breath normally. The mozzie will come back after a while, buzz near your ears, then land [buzzing stops]. At this point gently click on the light and slowly raise and look around. Usually the mozzie doesn't fly off straight away but settles nearby. Look around your headboard, pillow etc and you will find her (it's the females that bite). Then creep up slowly and splat the bugger in one highly explosive action. Using this method you can clear a room of several mozzies in just a few minutes - much easier than trying to chase the invisible foe around the room!

some good advice from radnomad, I was going to say screens and closing widows and doors at dusk, also check the garden and surrounding area for pools of water, breeding ground, dont let rain collect. definitely garlic its what all the locals eat. I used to use lime to wash with as a deodorizer not sure it worked but felt good, go easy though it can burn sensitive areas. also soak some cloves in water and dabbed this on the bites for some relief,
the best thing though is the electric tennis racket fly swatter, its so much fun youll be inviting mozzies in so you can zap them.
oh and run lime round the rim of your beer glass to stop flies walking all over it but never go in the sun with lime on your skin it can burn badly and stain for life

I don't think that mosquitoes are that choosy, it's just that some people have much more of an adverse reaction and are therefore more aware of the consequences.
Apparently the application of moderate heat immediately after realising you have been bitten will destroy the "venom" before your body has had a chance to make an inflammatory response. There are little battery powered gadgets for just such a purpose, although a hot wet towel or tea bag would probably work just as well, although not so handy to carry around in your man bag.
I saw Citronella candles used to good effect in a particularly pleasant, but swampy location.

Back