groups of bikes, whats the rule on the road ?

videojetman

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
can anyone tell me what the rule is on a bunch of bikes on a road. say around 20 bikes.
i always thought it was 2 abreast or single file ?
but can a group take up the whole road to the point of even sticking to the white line in the middle. ?
i'm sure some people might interpret the rules differently, but when i go out with any group including retrobikers,
i always keep it single file on busy roads.
i am just curious about road Etiquette.

Like any road user, you shouldn't hold up faster traffic. So a bunch of 20 bikers, blocking the entire lane is out of order.

No doubt, Lycra clad newbies that don't have a clue.....

If it is not safe to allow cars to pass whatever it takes to fill the lane, but never more than the lane as you are effectively making it unsafe on a road, which by definition is unsuitable for passing and therefore likely has blind corners or summits, etc.

To my mind there just is not safe way to ride some of the roads nowadays.

xxnick1975":2k3jc0yu said:
Like any road user, you shouldn't hold up faster traffic. So a bunch of 20 bikers, blocking the entire lane is out of order.

No doubt, Lycra clad newbies that don't have a clue.....

they were a group of lycra clad roadies, and their style of riding was causing a quite a backlog of traffic.
some cyclists don't do the sport a favour.
and this group had an attitude of ignorance & arrogance.

videojetman":10sqckaq said:
can anyone tell me what the rule is on a bunch of bikes on a road. say around 20 bikes.
i am just curious about road Etiquette.

I've been part of that size group & more, it's difficult, is 2x10 easier to overtake than 1 x20? As a driver I give up & follow them, on the rare instance where you come across that many cyclists it's a roadie club who are normally doing at least 20 mph on the flat. When they slow down up hill the pack separates and you can pick them off a few at a time.

Back