External hard disk question - buzzing fan

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've just bought an external hard disk in an enclosure and the fan is buzzing. What's the best thing to do - bit of WD40 on it, or can the fan be safely unplugged without fear of overheating?

What was the drive you got then ed, and how easy is it to open up i.e are there any warranty stickers on it as if you open up will void the 3 year warranty you got with it

If there isnt let me know what make and model it is and i will look into it for you, did you manage to get to grips with that software aswell

Hi - got a Samsung HD inside an Apollo case (AGD-3510). 150Gb. Works great (and yes Acronis worked brilliantly cheers :D ), but the fan's buzzing - been chatting with Neilll and we reckon a small squirt of wd40 should be ok if I'm careful. It's not a case of just a noisy fan, as sometimes it runs smooth, just must be a bit dry. May be the weather (cold in my office!).

If that dont work and you can open it up take a pic of the fan and connector for me and will let you know what and where to get a new fan for it.

Back