Not having a good day.........

greenstiles

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Wife has booked a holiday in May that we have no money for......i paid £500 off the credit card before xmas and we paid another £500 a bit before that.......well she spent £500 on people she knows at her 1 day a week college course at xmas :evil: !!!!.......

She is on maternity leave and could go back in April, but says if she does they may not honour the holiday she has booked......so she wants to go back later.......thing is her maternity pay runs out in March...........she also needs to give 8 weeks notice to return to work for April but wants to go back later...............

Well i'm between work at the moment, just starting as an NHS volunteer to help get work in the near future....also a small private support firm (i volunteer with) will be offering me some shifts when they take over a new business.

So for me the future could be bright....ie wife could work part time, me part or full time..........BUT if she doesn't face facts about the next few months we will have no rent money at all, with or without a holiday ( which she would prob have to put on her credit card)

Every time i mention being careful with money or the gap in the maternity pay she just gets defensive and angry...........i've always paid my rent and utility bills on time,but it's like she's decided they don't exist, she never looks in the bank any more and just takes till it's gone......she never used to be like that..........

Maybe i'm panicing but i'm afraid that she is going to keep ignoring this and we are going to be in serious trouble.

I've seen 1st hand how easy it is to become homless.........i'm having a bad day :cry:

If I was left to my own devices I would be terrible with money and homeless within a few months, seriously! my vice being beer, not excessively but it soon adds up.

We use YNAB (you need a budget) a software bundle that keeps track of your finances and stick as religiously to that as we can of course things do happen that you don't expect like the car breaking down but you put money into emergancy funds and that helps a bit. If we did not do this I don't know how we'd cope as money would be flying of the shelf like karma goods on Retrobike :) I do confess to trying to get Dom to spend money but he just says " NO we can't afford it" I may sulk a bit but I know deep down he's making sense.

I don't know how people afford holidays, we can't, the children have only been on school holidays and our income isn't that low, we just go for days out in the school holidays and that is pricey in itself :(

Alison

Its the root of all evil Money :(

In 20 years its the only thing that my Wife and i argue about and thats luckily rare and done quietly as not to worry the kids.

One piece of advice is make sure the rent is paid and things like council tax, the rest can be negotiated if things get 'tough', you can always agree to pay a small ammount.

I worked for a credit control department and litigations and have seen how peoples lives can be ripped apart by debt mostly people who have just fallen on hard times, marital breakdowns, unemployment, illness etc.

And if you need help there are charities, that can help and the cccs.

Hope your day gets better :LOL:

If you can't afford a holiday, you shouldn't go on one, simple as that. It's not rocket science, if you wan't something you can't afford, you will be going into debt to get it. The important things in situations like this are your finacial obligations, such as rent/mortgage, council tax etc. If you don't pay these you'll get a bad credit rating, and possibly a ccj against your name, and you don't want that. Any money left over, do whatever the hell you want with it.

There are quite a few charities that you can talk to if you need advice, or find yourself in a tight spot.

Holidays don't have to be as expensive as you think. What about camping for a week, it can cost as little as a day out!

I hope it all turns out good for you holiday and the baby :cool:
Me and my missis only use cash or debit cards if we cant afford it then tuff s**t :LOL:

I am absolutely hopeless with money - it's not that I want loads of expensive things, I'm just totally unable to grasp the basics of incomings and outgoings at any level. I ran up huge debts while I lived at home, and if it weren't for my other half keeping me on a tight financial leash then I'd definitely be homeless by now. It does cause a few arguments, and it's incredibly frustrating to be told how you can (or can't) spend your own money, but I'm always going to need that. Unfortunately, I never even realised I had a problem until I was being threatened with CCJs and bailiffs, which I imagine is true of a lot of other people as well.

Koupe":20yo30ik said:
I am absolutely hopeless with money - it's not that I want loads of expensive things, I'm just totally unable to grasp the basics of incomings and outgoings at any level. I ran up huge debts while I lived at home, and if it weren't for my other half keeping me on a tight financial leash then I'd definitely be homeless by now. It does cause a few arguments, and it's incredibly frustrating to be told how you can (or can't) spend your own money, but I'm always going to need that. Unfortunately, I never even realised I had a problem until I was being threatened with CCJs and bailiffs, which I imagine is true of a lot of other people as well.

We got into terrible debt years ago and I've never worked out how. I know the "you've made your bed so lay in it" camp will be against this but we went for an IVA after being advised by the CAB and that really helped us sort ourselves out and now that is over and paid off we stick to cash and debit cards.

Alison

I guess my volunteering at the homeless shelter will get me a bed if i need one.....i also used to access the food bank for clients...be ironic if i end up the same..........have arranged 'the talk' with the wife away from house and baby ;)

Back