Mmmmm oil and grease.

highlandsflyer

Retro Wizard
Feedback
View
Just unpacking a bunch of shit from various suppliers. Hands covered in oil and grease. Love it, smells like granddad's workshop.

Building a hamster cage.

Wiping down the saws with oily rags.

Same for the chisels.

No feckin' Werther's Originals, just good old oil and grease.

Halcyon days.

Miss you gramps.

Still sail the boat, still play the cricket now and then.

Still messing about with engines and bicycles.

You would be chuffed.

Aye, that smell is grand... can't let the stuff get anywhere near my skin these days though without suffering for ages afterwards. Thankfully nitrile gloves solve the problem, very occasionally modern is best!

Sadly my grandfather's Orkney clinker boat was sold before I was old enough to be interested in such things (just have the letters between him and the boatbuilder and even the receipt) - the Seagull remains though, in almost immaculate condition in its crate...

You can pick up a boat easily enough this time of year.

Hell, you could build once easily enough and shove that outboard on it!

:)

highlandsflyer":54gyuax7 said:
You can pick up a boat easily enough this time of year.

Good point... like convertibles, nobody wants one at this time of year. As for building one - I think I'd be in serious trouble if I started on that when the house is barely half renovated!

My Grandfather was a master joiner, consequently love the smell of pine shaving and sawdust, takes me back to my chilhood. Throwing myself into huge piles of woodshavings in the joiners workshop, luckily not bashing myself on the circle saw buried beneath :LOL:

I know not technically what OP concerned but similar idea though the smell of oil and polish in an old style motorbike/cycle shop is lovely :cool:

velomaniac":8lhl2n4x said:
My Grandfather was a master joiner, consequently love the smell of pine shaving and sawdust, takes me back to my chilhood. Throwing myself into huge piles of woodshavings in the joiners workshop, luckily not bashing myself on the circle saw buried beneath :LOL:

Reminds me of the woodwork rooms at my old school, which always had a nice pine smell hanging in the air.

A thread commenting on oil, grease and grandparents? Sounds like a ripe opportunity to have a pop at my Nan's iffy cooking (which my poor mother has all-too-vivid childhood recollections of). ;)

David

I've just finished making an oak gate for a local church. The smell of oak shavings takes some beating first thing in the morning...

Back