Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:29 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:54 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:08 am
Posts: 847
Location: French Alps/Annecy
tintin40 wrote:
makster wrote:
tintin40 wrote:
makster wrote:
I've never understood why ANYONE needs a gun of any kind?


I can in the USA. I'd have one if i lived there


Because everyone has one. If nobody had them, then no need


true But in the real world the nutters have them. So give your self a chance to defend your self.


Weird really, in the real world I don't have one but regularly go to where nearly everyone has an assault rifle, 1000 rounds, a semi auto sidearm and 6 grenades each, some even have ap mines and rpgs and have never once felt the need to defend myself.

It's a question of environment and education.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:18 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:28 pm
Posts: 3361
Location: The Admiral Benbow
makster wrote:
I've never understood why ANYONE needs a gun of any kind?


farmers, vets, hunters. err cant think of anymore, mabey police depending on the country


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:24 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:08 am
Posts: 6840
Location: Nth Somerset, UK
lumos2000 wrote:
farmers, vets, hunters. err cant think of anymore, mabey police depending on the country


How about clay pigeon shooters; there are tens of thousands of them in the UK, all blasting away every weekend without harming a soul, yet generating millions of pounds worth of sales and thousands of jobs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:34 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:20 am
Posts: 823
Location: On my sofa
http://newsthump.com/2012/12/15/us-nati ... n-schools/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:37 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:28 pm
Posts: 3361
Location: The Admiral Benbow
NeilM wrote:
lumos2000 wrote:
farmers, vets, hunters. err cant think of anymore, mabey police depending on the country


How about clay pigeon shooters; there are tens of thousands of them in the UK, all blasting away every weekend without harming a soul, yet generating millions of pounds worth of sales and thousands of jobs.


yep them to, in my mind they went in with hunters as everyone i know who clay shoots also hunt, i used to pritty good


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:43 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:28 pm
Posts: 3361
Location: The Admiral Benbow
B77 wrote:
tintin40 wrote:
makster wrote:
tintin40 wrote:
makster wrote:
I've never understood why ANYONE needs a gun of any kind?


I can in the USA. I'd have one if i lived there


Because everyone has one. If nobody had them, then no need


true But in the real world the nutters have them. So give your self a chance to defend your self.


Weird really, in the real world I don't have one but regularly go to where nearly everyone has an assault rifle, 1000 rounds, a semi auto sidearm and 6 grenades each, some even have ap mines and rpgs and have never once felt the need to defend myself.

It's a question of environment and education.


if only the the children at that school had guns they could of defended themselves :facepalm:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:16 pm 
eBay Outing Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:53 pm
Posts: 8000
As a brit recently moved to the u.s. I can offer a perspective?

At first when you go food shopping at your local supermarket it did freak me out that with my doritoes, pepsi and eggs I can buy an assualt rifle, cross bow hand gun and shot gun and here in south dakota I don't even need a permit, I just have to wait 48 hours. I can legally carry a conceled gun as long as I have a permit, not a permit to own one just a permit to carry one.

They sell millions of guns in the u.s. and there is a heavy hunting industry and it has to be said most gun owners are reasonable, respectable people and sadly the media hype when things like this happens creates a circus that is not helpfull.

Actually when things like this happen..and they don't happen that often no matter what the media say...gun sales go up as legal responsible gun owners fear restrictions so buy whilst they can.

So how will it change, I don't think you will be able to force Americans to give their guns up. Ban assualt rifles then? personally i think this makes sense but this latest attack used handguns.

I think as teens leave the bedroom less and are more socially unable to interact there maybe more of these attacks..you cannot ignore most of these are by white male teens early adults

a positive flipside however is that much of the computer generation are lazy so the idea of going hunting all day doesn't interest them at all and so on that basis I see gun ownership gradually reducing making it easier to impose gun controls.

Some changes are needed immediately but this is very much a long term generational change if they are to change the way Americans think about guns


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:45 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:57 pm
Posts: 4074
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Tazio wrote:
However something like a hand gun (excepting target pistols) or an assault rifle is designed and made for one purpose and one purpose only. Killing people. There is no reason for them to exist in the hands of ordinary citizens.


Let's see if you still feel that way after the zombie apocalypse. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:09 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:12 am
Posts: 680
Location: Anglesey
Raging_Bulls wrote:
Tazio wrote:
However something like a hand gun (excepting target pistols) or an assault rifle is designed and made for one purpose and one purpose only. Killing people. There is no reason for them to exist in the hands of ordinary citizens.


Let's see if you still feel that way after the zombie apocalypse. :wink:


You can't shoot zombies, the noise will attract more of them. Crossbows and machetes are best.


Seriously though, the whole subject was 'done' pretty well in Bowling For Columbine. The US media fuels an obsession with fear and danger, therefore people there will never stop wanting firearms, and using them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:48 pm 
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:24 pm
Posts: 5667
Location: Dorset
lumos2000 wrote:
NeilM wrote:
lumos2000 wrote:
farmers, vets, hunters. err cant think of anymore, mabey police depending on the country


How about clay pigeon shooters; there are tens of thousands of them in the UK, all blasting away every weekend without harming a soul, yet generating millions of pounds worth of sales and thousands of jobs.


yep them to, in my mind they went in with hunters as everyone i know who clay shoots also hunt, i used to pritty good


Still absolutely no need for the guns to be kept at home


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ajm, BerthaPog, Mike Muz 67, mkone, RobMac and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group