Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:29 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:54 pm 
Retro Guru

tintin40 wrote:
makster wrote:
tintin40 wrote:
makster wrote:
I've never understood why ANYONE needs a gun of any kind?

I can in the USA. I'd have one if i lived there

Because everyone has one. If nobody had them, then no need

true But in the real world the nutters have them. So give your self a chance to defend your self.

Weird really, in the real world I don't have one but regularly go to where nearly everyone has an assault rifle, 1000 rounds, a semi auto sidearm and 6 grenades each, some even have ap mines and rpgs and have never once felt the need to defend myself.

It's a question of environment and education.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:18 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

makster wrote:

farmers, vets, hunters. err cant think of anymore, mabey police depending on the country

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:24 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

lumos2000 wrote:
farmers, vets, hunters. err cant think of anymore, mabey police depending on the country

How about clay pigeon shooters; there are tens of thousands of them in the UK, all blasting away every weekend without harming a soul, yet generating millions of pounds worth of sales and thousands of jobs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:34 pm 
Retro Guru

http://newsthump.com/2012/12/15/us-nati ... n-schools/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:37 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

NeilM wrote:
lumos2000 wrote:

How about clay pigeon shooters; there are tens of thousands of them in the UK, all blasting away every weekend without harming a soul, yet generating millions of pounds worth of sales and thousands of jobs.

yep them to, in my mind they went in with hunters as everyone i know who clay shoots also hunt, i used to pritty good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:43 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

B77 wrote:
tintin40 wrote:
makster wrote:
tintin40 wrote:
makster wrote:

I can in the USA. I'd have one if i lived there

Because everyone has one. If nobody had them, then no need

true But in the real world the nutters have them. So give your self a chance to defend your self.

Weird really, in the real world I don't have one but regularly go to where nearly everyone has an assault rifle, 1000 rounds, a semi auto sidearm and 6 grenades each, some even have ap mines and rpgs and have never once felt the need to defend myself.

It's a question of environment and education.

if only the the children at that school had guns they could of defended themselves :facepalm:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:16 pm 
eBay Outing Master

As a brit recently moved to the u.s. I can offer a perspective?

At first when you go food shopping at your local supermarket it did freak me out that with my doritoes, pepsi and eggs I can buy an assualt rifle, cross bow hand gun and shot gun and here in south dakota I don't even need a permit, I just have to wait 48 hours. I can legally carry a conceled gun as long as I have a permit, not a permit to own one just a permit to carry one.

They sell millions of guns in the u.s. and there is a heavy hunting industry and it has to be said most gun owners are reasonable, respectable people and sadly the media hype when things like this happens creates a circus that is not helpfull.

Actually when things like this happen..and they don't happen that often no matter what the media say...gun sales go up as legal responsible gun owners fear restrictions so buy whilst they can.

So how will it change, I don't think you will be able to force Americans to give their guns up. Ban assualt rifles then? personally i think this makes sense but this latest attack used handguns.

I think as teens leave the bedroom less and are more socially unable to interact there maybe more of these attacks..you cannot ignore most of these are by white male teens early adults

a positive flipside however is that much of the computer generation are lazy so the idea of going hunting all day doesn't interest them at all and so on that basis I see gun ownership gradually reducing making it easier to impose gun controls.

Some changes are needed immediately but this is very much a long term generational change if they are to change the way Americans think about guns

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:45 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Tazio wrote:
However something like a hand gun (excepting target pistols) or an assault rifle is designed and made for one purpose and one purpose only. Killing people. There is no reason for them to exist in the hands of ordinary citizens.

Let's see if you still feel that way after the zombie apocalypse. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:09 pm 
Retro Guru

Raging_Bulls wrote:
Tazio wrote:
However something like a hand gun (excepting target pistols) or an assault rifle is designed and made for one purpose and one purpose only. Killing people. There is no reason for them to exist in the hands of ordinary citizens.

Let's see if you still feel that way after the zombie apocalypse. :wink:

You can't shoot zombies, the noise will attract more of them. Crossbows and machetes are best.

Seriously though, the whole subject was 'done' pretty well in Bowling For Columbine. The US media fuels an obsession with fear and danger, therefore people there will never stop wanting firearms, and using them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:48 pm 
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider

lumos2000 wrote:
NeilM wrote:
lumos2000 wrote:

yep them to, in my mind they went in with hunters as everyone i know who clay shoots also hunt, i used to pritty good

Still absolutely no need for the guns to be kept at home

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next