has anyone ever broke their scayphoid bone

dan28

Senior Retro Guru
came off my motorbike sunday an have broken the scayphoid bone between thumb an finger
as this is a bike website i suspect i m not the only one

yup
but dispite years of motorbikes , it was a 5 mph over the bars on an mtb that did it ,commando roll over the bars flailing right hand into the brake lever

took a good 6 months to heal , but even now ,8 years on it still gives jip

was back on a bike in 2 weeks tho

add to that carpal tunnel syndrome and right knee arthritis and bikes aint that healthy

not stopping yet tho

I would imagine numerous people on here have broken their scaphoid bones due to a fall onto an outstretched arm (FOOSA as they call it in A&E) from a bike. Very very common and sometimes missed as they can just feel like a bad ligament strain.

I broke my right scaphoid in 2008 and it required surgery at the end of the year due to a missed diagnosis....but this is not required for all obviously....depends on how bad the break was....they have blood supply from what is called an end artery which means that they struggle to heal depending upon where the break is in the bone (across the waist of the scaphoid or lower) due to lack of blood supply so they necrotise and arthritis can ensue. Some range of movement can be lost if they require surgery or fail to heal well.....

But hey....most probably heal ok without much loss of range of movement.

Hope this helps :)

Went over the bars of my bike at a stupidly low speed and ended up hurting my left wrist.

Had it plastered as a precaution and had to wait about 5-6 weeks before they were fully happy, they took loads of x-rays before finally giving me the all clear, put it down to ligament damage in the end but i still get a few problems now.

I guess Drewson covers it all...........especially the poor blood supply bit with avascular necrosis being a problem. Can nick a bit of arm bone to graft though if the hand surgeon is clever :)

Shaun

mikee":1zsb3odw said:
took a good 6 months to heal , but even now ,8 years on it still gives jip

was back on a bike in 2 weeks tho

Do you think those two sentences are linked... I did mine when I was 13 falling off a skateboard, then spent the rest of the day mucking around climbing up cliffs before it got too painful and went a bit numb. Went through 5 casts in 6 weeks cos didn't really stop doing stuff and rest it. For about 10 years it would flare up every now and give a lot of pain and restricted movement. Then all of a sudden it went away. Wish I'd rested it to begin with though.

mine is broke in the middle is this good in terms of blood flow am i right thinking the blood only flows one way to the bone so if the break is at the end furthest from the blood it would in theory not heal

i have to wear my cast for 6 weeks then have it removed an x rayed if its not healed on with the cast for another 6 weeks then if still no change it will be srewed together
my hand an wrist area has tissue damage too can barely move my fingers i am hoping this will improve soon it will be 2 weeks on sunday

cant complain it could of been alot worse

Back