Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:08 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:43 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

While my cycling of choice is MB XC I must admit that the road and track racing has been a lot more interesting to me than the MB and BMX as spectator sports.

BMX looks a bit silly with grown-ups on tiny bikes and legs pedalling like mad - just like a computer game with plenty of spills.

MB was quite boring with too few opportunities for overtaking. I appreciated the riding skills but excitement was limited. Perhaps the men tomorrow will be better.

I found both track and road racing a much more interesting mix of skills, speed and tactics.

It's a bit like the running where I'm much more interested in the pure running events than those such as hurdles/steeplechase which put in artificial barriers.

Just watched Mo Farah - brilliant :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:33 pm 
Retro Guru

I didn't see the BMX, but watched the MTB XC today and I'd agree with you, not a fantastic spectator sport.

On the whole I don't watch a much sport on television, rarely watch football, tennis, athletics etc., but I really enjoyed the track cycling and find it quite exciting to watch and will definately look out for it again if it's shown on television.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:46 pm 
Old School Hero

I agree, mountain bikes are better ridden than watched. I had hoped the redeeming feature of the Hadleigh Farm course would be better TV, not today.

Mind you I was glad to see an Olympic silver medalist went over the bars over a rock step, there is hope for me yet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:54 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Yup, you're not wrong! I'm not sure whether it was the coverage or the eve nts themselves, but both the BMX and XC were tedious in the extreme. Almost as boring as the Taikwondo, which looked like 2 kids kicking each other in the playground, except with the really effective kicks (that really hurt) not allowed...
The BMX was pretty incomprehensible, with seeding runs, then three qualifying runs, and a 30 second race. Was that it?
The XC could have done with a better venue, with at least one killer climb, and close ups of the riders'suffering. The longest climb on that course was about 100 foot. If it really had to be close to Lodon - the sailing wasn't - then Leith Hill, or even Gibbett Hill could have provided 600foot climbs of real torment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:36 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Mountain bikes are fantastic to watch given the right venue.

I am sure it was great there at the event though, given the amazing crowd atmosphere.

Gutted for Reade in the BMX, but she will bounce back.

My excitement peaked for Mo, Murray and Ennis.

The Taekwondo has been totally incredible, I was totally blown away by Jade Jones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:43 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

I've heard rumours of DH or 4X for the next Olympics. Not my bag to do but better to watch than XC.

In terms of watching I'm all about the road and track cycling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:44 pm 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

Women's MTB, BMX & Boxing

And any one beating the Chinese & Russians

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:50 am 
Retro Guru

BMX was ace!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:18 am 
Retro Guru

I thought the MTB was OK to watch, but the coarse didn't really do much for it, watching some of the world cups in the last few years has been great and I prefer a hard XC to any DH race...
the BMX was odd, The track was 3/2 asphalt and they seem to run pretty much slicks and it seemed about 100m too long. It was all explosive and fast with lots of jumping then the last 2 straights it was all big speed bumps, but by then they were knackered and had no speed... 1 straight less and half as many of the jumpos in the 2nd last straight...