Commuting Rules of Engagement

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Right. It has happened again today. And it has prompted me to start thinking of a set of rules of engaement for commuters.

I think when there is a four seater section on a train and that section has a table, then that should equate to 25% leg room each. I think that's fair. Maybe the person on the aisle gets a bit more, but hey, the one on the inside gets the window so it'sall swings and roundabouts.

But no, as usual today I got a businessman with a chip and he refused to budge his feet when I sat down and i literally had the option of hovvering my feet in the air above his or moving.

So I spent the rest of the journey 'resting' my feet on top of his. He didn't even move them then - pride, such a maker of a man - ha ha.

It's usually the one next to you that insists on spreading their legs so wide, in some cocksure gesture of feather ploomage, that they take up half your seat as well, that I have problems with.

I have however devised a method of combatting this...The leg game...

Gently waft the side of your leg up and down the side of his until he gets so scared he backs off and looks at you (you have to be wearing sunglasses and smiling like Jack Nicholson at this point).

I then spread out to the border (no further) in a gesture of defiance and a demonstartion of fairness and smile at my regular commuting gang so they know balance is attained and therefore peace and harmony can be restored to the trainspace.

I can see that this may well backfire at somie point, and someone is going to see if I walk the walk...but life's a gamble right? :?

Alternatively, pretend to make a call on your mobile 'phone and say only "I'm sitting next to him now" then hang up.

Never fails to freak people out!

Kestonian":26jzujxe said:
Alternatively, pretend to make a call on your mobile 'phone and say only "I'm sitting next to him now" then hang up.

Never fails to freak people out!

i like that :D

Back