What Antivirus / Protection Software?

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I have a small laptop I use for holidays etc. It is just over a year old and came as standard with Windows 10. It also came with a number of McAfee programmes that have been to most intrusive and annoying 'protection' software I have ever had the misfortune to use, and after getting totally exasperated with it this last week (while on holiday) I uninstalled the lot.

As I suspected from the out, McAfee was monitoring my every move... I have used computers all my working life and even though they are not my 'thing' I know enough and use them enough to know when the system if being slowed almost to a standstill by antivirus software. Needless to say, with McAfee gone, the laptop is faster in every way shape and form.

So, given that I only tend to visit a handful of web site when I'm away, including this one, what replacement software do you suggest... if any, that will offer a degree of protection, without slowing my little laptop to a standstill?

I also think that the sales people from McAfee and Photobucket both studied the subject at the same college, because although the American market may be reassured by constant reminders, popups and demands for more money, they just p*ss me off and make me more and more determined not to use the service and to find an alternative.

Re:

Sounds as if the way you use a laptop for hols is pretty much the same as I use a laptop every day, and I've found Avast is perfectly acceptable....the occasional pop up, but certainly nothing intrusive.

And it's free in it's basic form.

Re:

I'm with McAfee too Neil, also Windows 10. Mrs Muz uses Norton, seems fine, so when this one runs out which is soon I think, I'll probably switch to them.

Mike

I used to run free trial versions until they expired then switch to the next. I then became interested and took the CEH course which opened my eyes.

If you think of hi fi, separate dedicated components can be a better choice. Same with computer security. A dedicated anti virus scanner, and dedicated firewall are good options. There are some very good ones in fact ! All in one packaged antivirus suites are an easy option, and are getting better, but as already pointed out, at a price. Norton has been a consistently good option, if you want to get a package option.

Re:

Having not owned a personal laptop for quite some time now, am I the only one that has never paid for antivirus software? Just a decent collection of basic antivirus, pop up blockers and some common sense when browsing/dodging wonky looking emails etc... Think it was AVG freeware before. Also C-Cleaner and Adaware scanners to clean up the cache...plus I use an iPad and my android phone more than a PC these days!

Re: Re:

twain":tyfo39gt said:
Having not owned a personal laptop for quite some time now, am I the only one that has never paid for antivirus software? Just a decent collection of basic antivirus, pop up blockers and some common sense when browsing/dodging wonky looking emails etc... Think it was AVG freeware before. Also C-Cleaner and Adaware scanners to clean up the cache...plus I use an iPad and my android phone more than a PC these days!

Never paid for antivirus software.

Common sense like you say and monitoring your system is a good defence, even then though, logs can be altered.

Same as anything really, if someone wants to exploit it, they will.

AVG Free for day to day and Malwarebytes free version.

Have been using these for some 12 years or so. Malwarebytes got me out of a hole last year but the one time I did 'lose' everything was when a known Microsoft bug locked my account (and many other owners too) so the next PC / Laptop will be Linux based.

Re:

My home computer is a Mac which is why I have long lost touch with antivirus and firewall software, so all those suggestions are great.

Mike, I looked forward to the day my McAfee subscription ran out, but after it did instead of quietly sitting in the background it just started a pop up war with me, reminding me several times an hour that my subscription had run out. One of the things that makes me cross with these companies is that you don't get the chance to say no, you get pop ups saying "renew now, or later" and "restart now or later to get the latest version". The laptop is so much faster now bl**dy McAfee is gone.

It is worth checking the registry as parts of the program will be left even after uninstalling it.

And Mac and Linux systems are as much at risk as more and more people are using them now.

Back