Help with this SUN wheelset please

Tousi

Dirt Disciple
Can someone ID these wheels? I picked these up in a deal with a bunch of parts recently, and I can't find any info on them. Wheels are pretty wide, and have what looks and feels like plastic along the centre of the rim.
Front hub is a Formula, with what looks like a 4 bolt disc mount, rear hub I'm not sure, but no disc mount.

I guess my question is, are they worth keeping?

Hammer_003.sized.jpg

Hammer_004.sized.jpg

Hammer_005.sized.jpg

I am pretty sure those are original US-made Sun Big Mammoth rims on higher spec Formula hubs. Back in the day, Formula had different types of offerings for their hubs, with the most expensive being the Swiss-made Edco versions. I don't think it is the case, but you can recon how a lot of today's low-end disc hubs were copied after these.

The Mammoth rims had a plastic/vinyl strip in the middle and were welded, but today you can get ugly Taiwan pinned versions without any strip and painted flat black. BMX versions are called BFR - Big Fat Rim.

Cheers,
Mx

I think you're right! Mine look like these, but have different stickers on the rim, possibly done by the previous owner. Thank you for the info, I think I'll hang onto them for a while, not sure what I'll use them on, but I hate to part with a wheelset.

4582274308_e8714ae3eb.jpg

I think the stickers are correct and not re-done by anybody. What you have must be an earlier set, as all Suns from that era had the big lettering and then they switched to the small logo.

Mx

Back