Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:30 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:09 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Read about a tip on how to renovate worn and chipped anno red parts and decided to give it a try.

I wanted a Chris King headset in anno red for my latest retro build, but did not want to pay £120 for a new one or even £70 for a mint second hand one.

In the end I bought one on Ebay for only £35 in perfect working order, but the anno red had been worn down to bare alloy by severe cable rub in places.

Now for the tip - I went with my daughter to Super Drug with part of the King headset and then spent the next half an hour looking through all the nail polish colours to find the perfect match. As you may know metallic paints are very expensive and still do not give the right colour and correct finish.

In the end we chose a polish called - 2true in shade no 41 with a long lasting high gloss finish which is the exact Chris King shade of anno red! :D

I applied 2 coats to all the worn patches and left to dry and its spot on - looks like new and is a 100% perfect match! See the picture of my Chris King headset and let me know what you think to this tip. :idea:

I have since used the nail varnish on tiny chips on my Hope hubs, skewers and X-Lite bar ends and now they are all 100% pefect! NICE.

............and now for the best bit, the nail polish was only £1.99 - BONUS. 8)

Attachments:
chris king headset renovation.jpg
chris king headset renovation.jpg [ 187.32 KiB | Viewed 2141 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:14 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Wont last it says 5 day wear on the bottle :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:21 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

poweredbypies wrote:
Wont last it says 5 day wear on the bottle :lol:

Well spotted! I forgot to mention thats it's then best to paint over the repair when fully dry with some clear acrylic car touch up which then makes the repair as tough as car paint. :oops:

I agree, still not as tough as real anno, but its a good tip to make an old retro look fresh and minty without spending 100's on NOS bits and if it does wear off in say 6 months, there is enough polish in the bottle to dab it on again many, many times over. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:04 pm 
Retro Guru

"Now for the tip - I went with my daughter to Super Drug with part of the King headset and then spent the next half an hour looking through all the nail polish colours to find the perfect match. As you may know metallic paints are very expensive and still do not give the right colour and correct finish. "

:lol:

I truely hope you got half of the shop staff to help a bewildered bloke with a real cosmetic problem!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:31 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Woz wrote:
"Now for the tip - I went with my daughter to Super Drug with part of the King headset and then spent the next half an hour looking through all the nail polish colours to find the perfect match. As you may know metallic paints are very expensive and still do not give the right colour and correct finish. "

I truely hope you got half of the shop staff to help a bewildered bloke with a real cosmetic problem!

When we got to the checkout, the woman at the till said that it was nice that a Dad was buying nail polish for his daughter, just glad my daughter didn't reply and say - "no. its for my Dad!" lol. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:49 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Nice job! I can't figure out where the repair is in your photo....

Funny, I had a LeMond frame a while back with some paint chips. Called Trek about touch up paint and they referred me to the nail polish department of CVS drugs. So many choices... In the end I also found a perfect match. :lol:

Who would have guessed...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:10 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

fliier wrote:
Nice job! I can't figure out where the repair is in your photo....

Funny, I had a LeMond frame a while back with some paint chips. Called Trek about touch up paint and they referred me to the nail polish department of CVS drugs. So many choices... In the end I also found a perfect match. :lol:

Who would have guessed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:22 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Nice work

I renovated my DMR V8's with some of Mrs P's nail polish, perfect colour match, and not started flaking off yet :D :D

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:31 pm 
Anglian Deputy AEC
Anglian Deputy AEC

Permanent marker pen is also useful for covering up scratches on parts and frames.