Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:43 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Tamiya RC Cars
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:55 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

mattr wrote:
LOL, i'm running a 5.5t in my 4wd. Given enough grip and boost i can get it to wheelie when i'm already doing 50+ kph.........

Not going into detail on the TCs and the 8th scale ;)

I converted a hobo hyper mini st to brushless and lipo, it’s currently running a 3.5t team Orion motor, on 2s it’s a bit mental to say the least, I don’t have anything more than that though.

Carl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:58 pm 
Dirt Disciple

drcarlos wrote:
mattr wrote:
LOL, i'm running a 5.5t in my 4wd. Given enough grip and boost i can get it to wheelie when i'm already doing 50+ kph.........

I converted a hobo hyper mini st to brushless and lipo, it’s currently running a 3.5t team Orion motor, on 2s it’s a bit mental to say the least, I don’t have anything more than that though.

Carl

I was heavily into rc whether that’s Schumacher cat racing, Kyosho turbo burns/inferno or 1:4 FG but I literally didn’t understand one word of that last post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:16 pm 

Falkster wrote:
drcarlos wrote:
mattr wrote:

Carl

I was heavily into rc whether that’s Schumacher cat racing, Kyosho turbo burns/inferno or 1:4 FG but I literally didn’t understand one word of that last post.

I’ve had electric and nitro over the years and loved nitro for years as the run times were so much better and a small can of fuel would last ages. Times have changed though and brushless motors along with lipo batteries have turned things around. Nitro is dead, beaten by electric power. The 2s and 3s refer to cells, each cell hits 4.2v when fully charged and only drops to about 3.7 when flat. So a 2s is basically an 8.4v pack and will hold 8v for most of it run. In short they are much more powerful and last longer.
The brushless motors are more efficient and run lower turns in general than the old brushed motors, where 27 turns was what was known as stock. In brushless I think the stock class runs about 17 turns or 17t. The 5.5 turns and 3.5 are just low turn high speed motors and generally the lower the turns the higher the speed (less torque though). I guess they can get away with lower turns and less torque as there is less drag from no brushes and no loss through resistance.

Carl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:21 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Falkster wrote:
what's Schumacher cat racing? Some sort of local one make series? (and when did fg make 1/4 scale, they're all 5th and 6th now)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:23 pm 

mattr wrote:
Falkster wrote:
what's Schumacher cat racing? Some sort of local one make series? (and when did fg make 1/4 scale, they're all 5th and 6th now)

I guess that back in the late 80s cats dominated the club racing scene where now they are one of many competitive 4wd buggies.

Carl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:49 am 
Old School Grand Master

Still wasn't Schumacher Cat racing. It was 10th 4WD, Mod or Stock. I was racing a series of Kyoshos, Optima, Optima Turbo, Optima Mid sort of thing, even had to assemble the chain on the first one! Stopped in 87 or 88, must have been half a dozen competitive manufacturers/models in both 2wd and 4wd at the time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:23 am 
Dirt Disciple

mattr wrote:
Still wasn't Schumacher Cat racing. It was 10th 4WD, Mod or Stock. I was racing a series of Kyoshos, Optima, Optima Turbo, Optima Mid sort of thing, even had to assemble the chain on the first one! Stopped in 87 or 88, must have been half a dozen competitive manufacturers/models in both 2wd and 4wd at the time.

Maybe I should have put () around the racing or specified which type of racing. It was 1:10 buggy racing in which I raced a Schumacher CAT XL then XLS. My mistake on the FG, it was 1:5 rather than 1:4.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:53 am 
Old School Grand Master

Only decision i have to make is if i either add a couple of 10th buggies to my collection and start racing them again (the wheelying one up there is pretty much retired since Team Durango were run into the ground by "new owners", so are both the 2wd Durangos.)

OR, get a couple of cheapish 10th scale set ups and get the kids involved, they both enjoy driving my race cars (with the throttle turned down to 10-20%) but want their own.........

TBH, i reckon racing 10th TC (Serpent 4x) and 8th Electric (X-Ray XB9e) Buggies is probably enough for me! (just keeping them in tyres keeps a steady flow of cash out of my bank account!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7