1992 Raleigh Dyna-Tech MT5 - Build completed, latest pics...

carlton dyna-tech

Old School Hero
At last this new machine for my collection is on-the-road.

Frame was found for sale on the Ebay site back in March (2009), it was NOS and was bought for a build by a chap in Holland but never used. Since then I have been picking-up NOS and used parts both here in RetroBike and from Ebay.

As the parts are a pick'n'mix (ie: not from one particular groupset) I'm going to call this my Wedding bike...."Something old, something new, something borrowed, something......purple' :? Well, near-enough, and as I hope to be getting married before the end of the year this (and my Carlton tourer restoration) will probably be the last I am able to do. Wives just don't understand us RetroBikers, do they?

FRAME: Dyna-Tech MT5 MMC
RIMS: Campagnolo K2 32H
REAR HUB: Shimano Deore DX FH-M650 cassette hub 32H
SEAT POST: USE Alien
SADDLE: Charge Spoon
LEVERS: Shimano Deore XT BL-M733
BRAKES: Shimano Deore XT M737 cantilever
SHIFTERS: Shimano Deore 7-speed thumbies
CHAINSET: Shimano XTR FC-M900A SGX
REAR CHANGER: Shimano Deore XT M735
FRONT CHANGER: Shimano Deore XT FD-M737
FRONT HUB: Shimano Deore 32H
CLUSTER: Shimano 7-speed Hyperglide Cassette
PEDALS: Shimano Deore LX M550 pedals (TO BE FITTED - currently Onzas)
STEM: Syncros
HEADSET: Shimano Deore XT M736
BARS: Answer Hyperlite bars & ends; Yeti grips
OTHER: Tektro brake 'booster' on rear; Sharkfin
FORKS: Dyna-Max Mang-Moly forks
TYRES: Continental Vapor

Just a couple of little jobs to finish on the build (fitting Deore LX pedals, toeclips and straps, and some bar end caps).

These are just some quick images I took to give an idea of what it looks like. Will follow-up with up-to-date ones when the other pedals and toeclips are fitted.

Attachments

• IMG_1651.JPG
    IMG_1651.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 3,376
  • IMG_1650.JPG
    IMG_1650.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 3,376
  • IMG_1646.JPG
    IMG_1646.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 3,376
Thanks for the nice comments. :oops:

Ferrus, will let you know how it rides when it stops raining, don't wanna get this baby dirty, haha :D

Attachments

• XMT100_MMC.jpg
    XMT100_MMC.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 3,336
  • side_view.jpg
    side_view.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 3,336
Hi Neil,

Thanks, not sure how much it weighs but it sure feels a whole lot lighter than my Team Dyna-Tech with the 2070 tubing, and (heavy) Campagnolo Centaur groupset.

What's the best way to weigh a built cycle, any-ideas?

Is it a case of weighing myself, then doing the same again but holding the bike, and noting the difference? If so, I'd better find some good scales as I'm a good 19-stoner BEFORE I start :shock:

mmm.... maybe there's a Weighbridge nearby.... :idea:

Attachments

• IMG_1655.JPG
    IMG_1655.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 3,231
carlton dyna-tech":17mt5cap said:
What's the best way to weigh a built cycle, any-ideas?

Well I've seen people use those fishing scales thingmies, before now.

I guess it's not that critical, I was just curious.

Looks nice.

I always remember Dyna-techs from BITD. Always looked well made. Seemed to have a bit of a reputation for being slightly heavier than some similar peers, but that was probably just a bit of belt and braces in the lugs, really.

Looks a real nice bike and a good build. They always struck me as being strong and solid bikes. Nice to still see one being looked after.

Back