Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:37 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: 98 GT STS
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:22 pm 
Retro Guru

Never owned one before, always fancied one and was interested by the unusual frame construction. Sort of accidentally bought one. Ah, the perils of late night eBay....

Anyway, it's far from original with all parts more modern, looks to be a late 2000s build. First look it seems that everything works as it should. No immediate sign of damage to the frame beyond minor scuffs and cable rub. Linkage and shock seem fine, forks appear to function. Gears go round and brakes stop.

Serial says 1297 so going for a 1998 model, happy to be corrected if that seems out. What can you tell me about these then?

I'll add it to the list of new things I need to try out when the weather picks up a bit

Attachments:
sts1.jpg
sts1.jpg [ 184.37 KiB | Viewed 467 times ]
sts2.jpg
sts2.jpg [ 349.84 KiB | Viewed 467 times ]
sts3.jpg
sts3.jpg [ 167.78 KiB | Viewed 467 times ]
sts4.jpg
sts4.jpg [ 189.22 KiB | Viewed 467 times ]
sts7.jpg
sts7.jpg [ 159.66 KiB | Viewed 467 times ]

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:41 pm 
Retro Guru

Couple of things not quite right for me, but only little things.

Seatpost was 31.4 and should be 31.6. wasn't a problem and all felt secure but I had a spare in the shed so swapped that out.

There's a little too much flex at the front end for my liking. Its to be expected I suppose but also quite annoying. Short of new forks and wheel with a bolt thru fitting I guess I'll just live with it for now.

I don't like the deore sti's. Purely aesthetic. I think I have some avid levers and some 3x9 XT shifters but they are silver, think I'd prefer black. Again, I'll live with it for now. Doesn't bother me enough to change right away.

Front end is a bit high and possibly too wide so may swap out the bars while I'm at it.

But yeah, it works nicely so far. Not given it a proper thrash yet but when the weather picks up a bit we'll give it a proper test.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:02 pm 
Retro Guru

It's a lovely frame. Seems a shame to ruin it with all of that modern stuff. Although, it has to be said, even if you fitted old dual crown forks to it like a Judy XL there would still be the element of flex.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:57 pm 
Retro Guru

Not too bothered about the slightly more modern bits. That deore kit came in from about 2002, not sure on the forks but think they are 2003, so not too far out. I have thought about rebuilding with closer to period kit but since it all works as-is it's not high up my list.