1992 Cannondale M500 - work in progress/hack bike

Bike Hoarder

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
This poor old cannondale has been hanging around for awhile... Originally built it as a cheap SS, but never rode it/needed it (work was too far away to ride/not practical to ride etc). I stripped it down, sold bits off it - coda brakes/force 40 brake pivot thingies. I tried to sell the frame, paint was in a pretty poor condition, lots of people wanted the forks, but i was loathed to split it. Started to strip the paint off, to find that the etch primer cannondale use is so industrial that any common paint stripper wouldn't touch it - ultimately i got bored with it.

Leap forwards to 2020! Recently moved house, and the work i have is only a few miles away, down some nice traffic free cycle paths - so i decided to build a hack bike/work bike with some random components i had lurking.

Take a look at some pics...

IMG_6635 by Bike Hoarder, on Flickr
IMG_6643 by Bike Hoarder, on Flickr
IMG_6642 by Bike Hoarder, on Flickr
IMG_6641 by Bike Hoarder, on Flickr
IMG_6640 by Bike Hoarder, on Flickr
IMG_6639 by Bike Hoarder, on Flickr
IMG_6644 by Bike Hoarder, on Flickr
IMG_6645 by Bike Hoarder, on Flickr

In the end i managed to get together a fair bit of period(ish) XT - shifters, rear mech, hubs (just waiting on a matching fr mech from hunspecialized now).
Wheels are XT on specialized BX23 and GX23, with an odd Tioga city slicker front tyre.
Cranks are some Suntour for now - got some DX but the pedals are stuck in the arms, and they're knackered.
Still needs chain and gear cables, but those bits aside it don't weigh much.

Maybe one day it'll see some paint and some decals - but for now i'm fairly sure i can lock it anywhere and only those in the know would give it a second look.

Re:

Hi, Im looking for that Suntour Chainset if you will be swapping it out soon? Cheers

Re: Re:

Lighty":31v7lg9w said:
Hi, Im looking for that Suntour Chainset if you will be swapping it out soon? Cheers

Probably will be, well as soon as I can shift the pedals. I'll give you a shout!

Back