1994 Lava Dome Project.

Ren

Dirt Disciple
Have recently aquired a 1994 Lava Dome from ebay and am looking to rebuild the bike up for everyday riding (rather than a proper retro project). Pics:

The bike was advertised as an 18" but it actually measures 19" from centre of bb to top of seat tube - which is just as well as the seat post sticks out just enough to get my 5' 10" body onboard. The frame is in suprisngly good nick and certainly doesnt warrant a respray. The RH chainstay had carpet tape on which I thought maybe hiding some nasty damage, but on removal it looked good apart from a couple of chips. Just needs a good clean to get rid of residue from the tape etc. There seems to be a mix of original and non-original parts on the bike:

Original -

Wheels (Bontrager BCX3 rims)
Sugino 175mm cranks
Deore XT? Thumbies
Deore LX Brake Levers
Seatpost?

Non-original -
Xlite aheadset
Art stem
Indy XC forks
Trans am saddle
Middleburn chainset
Brakes
Continental tyres

I'm looking to replace the forks, stem, bars and seat post with some modern stuff (probably go with riser bars and a shorter stem). Was wondering if you guys had any suggestions with what to go with. What options for forks do I have, and what diameter seat post will fit?
Cheers!

Well done! As you say, the frame looks good and it'll be superb for its age once it's cleaned and polished. And yes, it's a size 19.

The worst thing on the bike IMO is the wheels, as ever with Konas, and the biggest improvement you could make would to find some hand-built non-disc replacements - they feel better and you could probably save a pound in weight.

The bike is 'suspension adjusted' (but only just, 93s weren't!), but was designed for 50mm forks, so something like a 70mm Z2 would be ok, but I would suggest that an 80mm fork is on the outer limit. Obviously if you want a modern fork, your choice is a bit limited by that.

i used to have a 16" one of those, lovely bike, was a bit too small unfortunately - looking good.

I nearly bid on this as I had one from new (before some git stole it). The seller put me off by first stating it was a 16", then changing to a 18". Congrats, Good to see it has found a good home.

Of course if you ever want to sell it...... :LOL:

thats brililant mate! identical to my re-build project. dont suppose you'd sell the dx thumbies would ya?

Attachments

• DSC00751small.JPG
    DSC00751small.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 2,632
albash82":24hrw7se said:
thats brililant mate! identical to my re-build project. dont suppose you'd sell the dx thumbies would ya?

Sorry mate, I'm defo keeping them! What plans do you have for yours then? I'm probably gonna get some P2's on the front.

Ren":23gwasbj said:
albash82":23gwasbj said:

Sorry mate, I'm defo keeping them! What plans do you have for yours then? I'm probably gonna get some P2's on the front.

i've got some old threaded p2's & a velocity stem in the post, i've also found an old kona h/set i'll be buying. Tryin to find a set of wheels with some retro hope hubs in red. basically want to build it back to what it was when i was 16. i had it nicely kitted out - then the chainstay snapped so i bought a replacement frame. then someone nicked the whole lot :twisted:
got the stay welded a while ago & been wonderin what to do with it... found this website & decided to go back to its roots :D

one of my favorite and most comfortable race seats...love that seat- don't get rid of it :D

perhaps you can go with a silver judy xc or rigid kona fork in grey or black.
syncros stem in grey
stay away from riser bars, but if you must, go with a ti riser if you can.

Your parts are a strange mix of periods, so it's good you are not attempting to keep it period correct or retro, but you can still go retro with theupgrades I mentioned.

Also, consider replacing the crankset as it looks like it has seen better days.

Like the frame color :)

Hey, very nice! will come up lovely.
Oh lx brake levers are not original!!
I bulit one up a little while ago.....not quite finished!

Attachments

• bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 2,521
  • bike2.jpg
    bike2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 2,521
Back