Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:43 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:10 am 
BoTM | rBoTM | rider
BoTM | rBoTM | rider

**EDIT** June 2020 BotM winner!

Quick history lesson….
It’s 1984 and the British cycle industry is more or less struggling… and Holdsworth, who had owned the brand rights of Claud Butler since 1958 are amongst those feeling the pinch. One thought to improve sales was to look at this “new” idea, ‘Mountain Biking’.

So, someone senior at Holdsworth bought a new bike from across the pond to evaluate angles etc…. nothing was documented, but the more commonly held belief was that an early Specialized Stumpjumper had been purchased, one of America’s earliest production bikes (although possibly made in Japan?) along the lines of custom frames sold by the likes of Tom Ritchey.

https://dirtragmag.com/articles/blast-f ... tumpjumper
Attachment:
File comment: 1984 Lugged Stumpjumper
8a852fb48e15dadd0d7414c2566542aa.jpg
8a852fb48e15dadd0d7414c2566542aa.jpg [ 81.84 KiB | Viewed 1819 times ]

The result first advertised in 1985 was the Claud Butler Canyon, but with production starting in late1984 surely this puts it in the group of earliest British built semi-mass production bikes?
Attachment:
Canyon85.jpg
Canyon85.jpg [ 281.45 KiB | Viewed 1819 times ]

A few have appeared on RB over the years, but they are very scarce these days and I’ve never seen an appropriate size for me (20”) …..And one had appeared on here way back dressed as a tourer;
Attachment:
IMG_2650.jpg
IMG_2650.jpg [ 368.59 KiB | Viewed 1819 times ]

Then a Youtube video popped up by the same owner this summer… the rest, well you can guess the rest… :wink:
Attachment:
IMG_2648.jpg
IMG_2648.jpg [ 222.57 KiB | Viewed 1819 times ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hwgz48xccI

Last edited by Peachy! on Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:26 am, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:35 am 
Old School GrandMaster | Rider
Old School GrandMaster | Rider

'Sir Claud!' great bit of history, im glad you have got this and cant wait to see more pictures 8) He is probably secretly releved it went to someone who will appreciate and care for it :)

Did you get the carpet and the other bits too?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:55 am 
BoTM | rBoTM | rider
BoTM | rBoTM | rider

mk one wrote:
'Sir Claud!' great bit of history, im glad you have got this and cant wait to see more pictures 8) He is probably secretly releved it went to someone who will appreciate and care for it :)

Did you get the carpet and the other bits too?

Not sure what’s in Rowan’s gift bag yet, but the box has been collected and is on its way.... going out for a ride with my kids now to calm myself down :facepalm:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:28 am 
GOLD | PoTM | Rider | rBOTM
GOLD | PoTM | Rider | rBOTM

Half term next week here. Looking forward to the unboxing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:21 pm 
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider

Awesome Chris!

So, is this the first CB ever built? Or, as I am deducing from this slightly cryptic thread (and the title) that the frame in the advert (the one on its way to you) is actually a Spesh frame repainted and redecaled as a CB Canyon?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:02 pm 
Retro Guru

regan_ev wrote:
Awesome Chris!

So, is this the first CB ever built? Or, as I am deducing from this slightly cryptic thread (and the title) that the frame in the advert (the one on its way to you) is actually a Spesh frame repainted and redecaled as a CB Canyon?

The Stumpy didn't use the lugged headstock, which the CB in the pictures has. I can't be just rebadged. It's all in the details!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:53 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Looks great as a tourer. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:03 pm 
BoTM | rBoTM | rider
BoTM | rBoTM | rider

regan_ev wrote:
Awesome Chris!

Hello Regan,
No, nothing that complicated. Until it arrives I won’t know if its from the very first batch of CB mountain bikes, if it is, that’s cool, if not, no problem as Holdsworthy only produced them for a year, the last batch at the end 0f ’85, early ’86 got painted blue with different decals and sold by Marlboro.

Duxuk wrote:
The Stumpy didn't use the lugged headstock, which the CB in the pictures has. I can't be just rebadged. It's all in the details!

Hi Duxuk, I wasnt insinuating that it was a rebadged stumpjumper, just highlighting that it was an almost exact replica, this has been discussed before many times over the years, so its old news really, but then that’s what this forum is all about isn’t it?
Talking of old news, of course the early Stumpjumpers were lugged, just look at the first photo, that’s a 1984 Stumpjumper, also check out the linked article if you don’t believe me… :D

Ps, & obviously a Claud nut like me is only gonna be happy if this is a proper British hand made from Reynolds tubing made in Britain British Claud Butler.... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:16 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

Not among the first but certainly in the pack following. The Stumpy had been around since 1981 and Overbury's was knocking out a sloping down tube ATB in late 1985 - things had already moved on by the time this CB appeared.

I've been close to owning a few of these a long time ago, there have been a few on here as you say but were more behind the scenes and never made it to RB.

Did you ever see my 1987 Holdsworth Hardtrack? Tig welded and already a world away from the CB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:19 pm 
BoTM | rBoTM | rider
BoTM | rBoTM | rider

legrandefromage wrote:
Did you ever see my 1987 Holdsworth Hardtrack? Tig welded and already a world away from the CB

Yup... it's sitting between an '89 and a '93 Cape Wrath in my loft....... :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next