Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:00 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Marin Bear Valley -91
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:22 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Hi!

I guess I'm not the only one who has always liked those 1991 Marins with the neon fade paintworks. I already have a -91 Palisades Trail restored and when I saw this neglected Bear Valley frameset on sale I just knew I had to try and save it.

I understand that stickers were a big deal in the 90's being available in chewing gum wrappings etc. BUT why oh why would somebody do this to his rasta Marin! :facepalm: :facepalm:

The paint looks to be in pretty good condition except for some touch up paint needs on the seat tube and chainstay so I'm pretty hopeful on getting this back to some form of former glory. I already found some cheap Araya CV-7's on DX hubs in need for some serious TLC, so slowly getting also this project on the way!

Only thing missing is the neon red handlebar so if someone has one lying around please let me know! For now I will go for a black seatpost and black handlebar.

P.S. This frame has one unique feature that I have no idea how to explain. If you know your Marins, please check this out and share your knowledge please!

-Turkka

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:42 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

After some sticker removal (one square millimeter at a time..), sticker glue removal and finally lacquer polishing, this is how it turned out. It’s definitely not a hopeless case!

Next up locating a fitting paint for the touch ups and contacting Gil for some decals.

I didn’t like Take That in the 90’s, but after ripping their paper based gum stickers from the frame a tiny piece at a time, I truly hate them.

-Turkka

Last edited by Dami on Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:47 pm 
BoTM & rBoTM Winner
BoTM & rBoTM Winner

I was never a fan of Take That either..... watching for the paint repair...... :wink: