Is this a 94 Specialized Stumpy M2 FS or? -- It's a rare 97

Gotobikeguy

Dirt Disciple
Hello everyone, I'm trying to date this Stumpjumper. It has an original green silver fade paint job with white decals trimmed in yellow. After reviewing the catalogs here, I found that it may be a 94 M2 FS. ...or I could be mistaken. This isn't the best photo, but if needed I can post others soon. Anyone have a clue on the year for sure and how rare it might be? Thanks, love this site.

Attachments

• m2fsstumpjumper.JPG
    m2fsstumpjumper.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 782
Re: Is this a 94 Specialized Stumpy M2 FS or?

The decals say it's post 1996. I'm guessing from the components its a 1999, but I've never seen that green and silver fade before.

I'll take more photos tomorrow. I bought this frame and another frame, a purple Hardrock (long gone), in the early 2000's from a long time bike shop coworker in Cali. The story goes that the Specialized rep kept one back for him from a small special order European run. It could have been out of 5 or 500. I am not sure. I know it must be rare since I have seen no others posted anywhere. I've built the frame up with upgrades and will be selling it soon. I would be interested to know if anyone else has seen this color combo. I do notice that 1998 had a run of solid Dew Green. Could this possibly be a special European run from that color? Thanks for your feedback!

Graham_hkr":3mrsixqv said:
Would love loads more pics, looks awesome.. :cool:

Here are loads more pics. :cool: The frame has some typical paint issues on a bike from this era; chips here and there , top tube scuffs, chain slap and a head tube gouge which seems to be the worst thing on the frame. I added all components when building the frame up. Now that I've seen the catalog and closeups of the bike, I'm leaning towards '97 or '98 but there are differences. It has the stickers colors from '97, Handmade in USA sticker on the upper seatpost tube, though, no S on the front head tube, and then the dew green color from '98. ??? Team build for UK? What are your thoughts on year and how rare?

Attachments

• m2-1.JPG
    m2-1.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 662
  • m2-3.JPG
    m2-3.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 662
  • m2-4.JPG
    m2-4.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 662
  • m2.JPG
    m2.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 661
  • m2-6.JPG
    m2-6.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 662
  • m2-7.JPG
    m2-7.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 662
  • m2-8.JPG
    m2-8.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 662
  • m2-2.JPG
    m2-2.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 662

perhaps by comparing the frame number you can discover something more

It's under the bottom bracket shell and cable guide. I'll check that out next. I should have definitely written that down somewhere before building the frame up. I never thought it would be this hard to identify. Lesson learned. :roll:

Never seen that paint job before so could be quite a rare one.
Agree the decals look very similar to '97 M2 frames. Aside from the serial number another sure sign of 1998 onwards frames is the gusset on the downtube at the headtube junction. They changed on the 1998 frames. Sadly I just can't make out from those pics if it is the '97 gusset or the '98 gusset. A better photo of that area would be a great help.
btw, '97 M2 frames had the serial number on the dropout, not the bb.

Aside from the serial number another sure sign of 1998 onwards frames is the gusset on the downtube at the headtube junction

That's what I was thinking also. Didn't they change to a bigger fatter gusset?

Hmmm, What do ya know? SN IS on the drop out. 97S4M00298 Well, that clears things up. AT least a run of 300? Life has been too busy, I thought this one was on the bb. I should have double checked. :facepalm: Regardless, Thanks for all your help. Now, for the value of the frame? I can list components if needed for value of the complete bike.

Here's a few pics of the top and down tube gussets.

Attachments

• GUSSET1.JPG
    GUSSET1.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 560
  • GUSSET2.JPG
    GUSSET2.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 560
  • GUSSETtop.JPG
    GUSSETtop.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 560
Back