1992 Merlin Titanium

Once A Hero

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Yes another one ;)

Always admired these in my youth but could never afford one!
This particular Merlin was for sale on ebay.com and from the pictures I could see it seemed in fairly decent condition – so I took a punt, made an offer and did the deal. A pretty painless transaction in all fairness – apart from the £100 import duty a week or two after if arrived of course :(

The bike was supplied complete but with some parts that to me were obviously not best suited:

Stem (Bontrager 4130), saddle (WTB SSK), seatpost (Sakae – and the wrong size!), grips (OURY?), tyres (modern semi-slick), budget brake pads, ugly seat post qr, and countersunk bottle cage bolts(!). All had to go!
I thought I was going to have to change the bars too – but on very close inspection I could see the distant remains of Syncros stickers – and it turned out they were actually Syncros Ti bars which had also been installed upside down! A quick flip, and with the help of some new decals from gil_m they are the perfect fit!

I spent some time tracking down the parts I had in mind for it, looking for those in the best condition I could find/afford and that were as period correct as possible. Some NOS parts were sourced.

The result is a fairly ‘typical’ Merlin, but it turned out just as I wanted it to, and I can’t stop looking at it!

Now the bit that might bug some on here….
….this build was always destined to be hung in the house as a piece of art!
I don’t intend to let the NOS Smokes touch the dirt!
Thankfully we had a blank wall that needed ‘decorating’, and I have a very understanding girlfriend who OK’d this project (she was given multiple other bikes to choose from, like dolomite Attitudes etc, but this one got the vote. Suits me!). Found an ‘off the wall’ way of displaying it too…

Frame: 18" Merlin Titanium

Fork: Ritchey

Headset: Ritchey
Stem: Syncros, with noodle - NOS
Stem Cap: N/A
Handlebar: Syncros Titanium
Grips: ODI Attack - NOS
Barends: N/A

Brakes: Shimano XTR M900
Brake Pads: Shimano XTR M900
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Shimano XTR M900 STI

Shifters: Shimano XTR M900 STI
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR M900
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR M900
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano XTR M900 12-28T
Chain: Shimano
Cranks: Shimano XTR M900
Crank Bolts: Shimano XTR M900
Chainrings: Shimano XTR M900
Chainring bolts: Shimano XTR M900
Bottom Bracket: Press-Fit
Pedals: Shimano SPD M737 – NOS

Hub Skewers: Shimano XTR M900
Rims: Campagnolo Stheno, silver, 32H
Hubs: Shimano XTR M900, 32H
Nipples: ?
Spokes: Wheelsmith
Tyres: Panaracer Smoke Comp Lite, 1.9, Skin Wall F&R – NOS
Tubes: Specialized

Saddle: Flite Titanium (Modern re-issue)
Seatpost: Syncros 2nd Gen
Seatpost Binder: Bolt

Weight: 22.2lbs / 10.07Kgs
11610065-4B36-4EB7-B96C-EB0BC7AA471A.jpeg C4F5CA98-D099-4D30-9C08-3E4F18EE72F8.jpeg BA322AC3-19EA-44ED-8A5D-7B5FDA494D19.jpeg BC980F8E-8FDC-4000-89AB-3114233E14CE.jpeg 9394BBC3-E99B-4B7D-800E-2730259BDF45.jpeg

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
:cool: thats nice, have you thought about sticking a different pair of tyres on and taking it for a ride?

And how is it hung, wires?

mkone":2ggqx05b said:
:cool: thats nice, have you thought about sticking a different pair of tyres on and taking it for a ride?

And how is it hung, wires?

I'll think about it :LOL: - but need a longer ladder to get it down that the one I used precariously to put it up! :shock: :LOL:

Yep, two 1.5mm thick wires up through the ceiling looped and locked round some timber rafters. One round the nose of the seat, the other around the stem. Hangs nice and straight but sways a little if there is a draft. Really neat wire system :)

Re:

Beautiful...if I was allowed to hang mine I would...but the mud kept droppping on the carpet. These are really too nice not to resist being ridden .

Re:

Lovely bike.

But, the architect in me can't accept that horrible bit of return skirting finishing up to the glass balustrade like that at first floor in the 4th photo down.

Terrible detailing...

Have you put any isolation between the cable and the underside of the saddle nose and stem?

If not you should, as even with the light weight of a Merlin it'll soon leave indents on the saddle, and mark the underside of the stem!

Back