90's? Claud Butler spectre

Spectre-James

Retro Newbie
Hi guys. Completely new to the forum.

I have a 90's? Claud Butler Spectre. Fitted with deore lx brakes, front and rear derailleur and hubs. Mavic rims and road tyres because I rarely go off road despite being a mtb.

I've had it for a while now but the past 4 years it has lived in my shed because I started driving and a full time job got in the way. Now I have grown up and got unfit I now want to get back into cycling.

Last week I dug it out, had it serviced and gears set up because before I stored it the gears were hit and miss.

Gears are now better however it was slipping when on the middle chainring. Closer inspection revealed the ring to be missing around 50% of its teeth.

My to-list is to replace the middle chain ring and replace the horrendous grip shifter for some trigger items.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement chain ring from?

What year is my bike from?

Thanks for reading!

James.

Attachments

• IMG_1810.JPG
    IMG_1810.JPG
    204.6 KB · Views: 730
  • IMG_1811.JPG
    IMG_1811.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 732
  • IMG_1812.JPG
    IMG_1812.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 729
  • IMG_1813.JPG
    IMG_1813.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 729
Welcome!
I think it might be a 1993 model going by the spec? Good way to get back in shape and have some fun.

A chainring will be in the for sale section, or eBay of course. you only need to know your bolt pattern (referred to as the BCD) which is in mm and yours will be either a 94 or 110. It will have the number of teeth stamped onto it which will be 30-something, and you could take the opportunity to change the ratio while you're choosing the size should you want to.

It's best to replace the chain if you haven't already. A worn chain will destroy a new chainring in a few rides!

Re:

Thanks for the reply!

I replaced the chain at service. Cassette and gear items cleaned and oiled up.

Ideally I want to keep the ratio's the same purely because I don't know any different! It's a 32t ring. No idea on pcd? Struggling to find a chain ring been looking online all day so it is looking like the entire crankset is going to have to be changed. It's an 8 speed cassete (24 speed) and I'm finding because I've been out of the mtb game so long that even 8 speed is obsolete and parts are few and now the new ones are 11 speed!

Attachments

• IMG_1816.JPG
    IMG_1816.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 679
Nice bike, in my experience, the old 90's Claud Butlers are great workhorses, I have had mine since new in 1995!

Latest posts

Back