1981 and 1987 Moots Mountaineer Rebuilds

jimi911

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
She's a project. Best I can tell is that it's one of the first ones. #72 or no serial number. Either way given the frame features it's probably a 1982 or 1983 (edit - she’s a 1981 ... one of the first 50) and it had some parts updates around 1987-8. An original Steamboat Springs CO classic.

Re: 1982 or 1983 Moots Mountaineer

:cool: nice, looks in good condition, really like the color :cool:

Mark

Re:

It's pretty good for a 35 year old survivor. So far nothing is stuck so that's good. I haven't tried the BB yet, but fingers crossed.

I don't think I can repainted it and live with myself. That original Steamboat Springs Bike license just does it for me.

I do have a usable fork and the proper kit to bring this back to life. I've got fealers out for some original parts. You never know. I've got good luck ... or so I'm told ;)

That is outrageously cool. It looks fantastic but I'm glad the forks are going, terrible addition!
I'm looking forward to seeing her brought back to former glory with a sympathetic renovation. The condition looks very good indeed. Is there a back story? How did you find such a gem?

The fork is so ridiculous. I mean the original one would have been way cooler and it's not even a good replacement by 1992 performance standards. I've got a brazed fork that will do. Paint matching will be a bit tricky.

It was on eBay. Didn't sell first time around. I offered the seller a price ... he was motivated. It basically came from just about as far southwest as it could be all the way to the Toronto, Canada. Sorta crazy it's here now.

Glad it fell in the right hands now. It gets cooler the more i look at it! The rear brake is intriguing, are the clamp on mounts for the U brake standard? I've never seen that before. I wondered why it doesn't have brazed mounts. And the brake booster, is that home made? There's some charm in the previous owner's stubborn determination to try to keep up with the developments in the sport by adding the booster, shocks and other little things. Shows it was loved. But it'll definitely be better in original spec.

Kent Erikson (still crafting in Ti) started Moots Cycles in the late 70s. One of the first things he developed was the Moots mount which is what you see there. Basically an adjustable brake mount hat let you switch from 26-27.5-700c whenever you wanted.

The booster is also original Moots.

Kent also invented the first bar ends around 1983 (well bar middles the way he mounted them).

It looks like the hubs were replaced (with nice MN72s), RD for sure, one shifter, rear brake, and crank. Oh ... and the fork haha.

Great bike. I grew up in Colorado. Those bikes are legendary. I've been on the look out for a 90's Moots YBB myself.

Re:

I sort of fell for it like everything else I've got in the 80s - it's the history. I have several bikes that predate my first bicycle, but I just really like all the innovative ideas of the era.

Moots is apart. That's always a relief. You never know how a 35 year old bike is going to do when the wrenches and keys start turning. It was well cared for.

And ... my brazed fork fits without mods ... like it was made for it :D

Latest posts

Back