Kona lavadome 1993 , Suspension????

noble steed

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys, I used to be on here but haven't been for ages.

This is my Kona now, i turned it into a road bike for london to brighton.

My plan and this is what i need your help with is to turn it into a good MTB hardtail with some modern bits on. Most important is forks. I want some suspension and would like a nice amount to push the front up but don't want it to look stupid. Ideal would be 120 but I'm not sure if that would be too much??

Thanks

Attachments

• image-8.JPG
    image-8.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 911
When i say modern bits, pretty much new tyres, forks and will need a stem for the forks. Will put all the original cassette/chain rings on.

Re:

If you want 120mm then I would look for a new frame.

I would be hitting 50 pushing to 60mm max. They were still based around a 390mm P2 then with ~40mm suspension in mind

They where not fully adjust for the next step until 1994 and then the frames where not designed to take the extra forces a 120mm fork can give.

Re:

Rubbish. Not really the response I wanted but good I didn't waste time and money. Wouldn't putting front suspension on it put less pressure on the frame rather than more?

Re:

This is what I had in mind. I guess this frame is much later than mine. I don't know how much later though.

Attachments

• IMG_0850.JPG
    IMG_0850.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 864
The fork acts as a lever on the headtube, the longer this 'lever', the more it'll want to rip the headtube off

Re:

Id think a pair of rock shox mag 21's in silver would be a good match for the 93 lava dome? Certainly don't go over 60mm travel...it'll handle quite poorly, probably end up feeling like a real dog.

I don't think he had old forks in mind.

As stated Before, it is harmful for frame to put fork with more than 60mm of travel. Even if it wasn't so, you would not experience the frame the way it was meant to be. My suggestion would also be to buy new frame and then just build it up the way you want to.

Back