'93 Kona Lava Dome hack bike project....

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
This little Kona came up on here recently, for sale as an almost complete bike, and very cheap, so thinking I could probably make something back on the parts I didn't need, and use the frame as the basis for a steel hack road going bike, I got in there quick!

Unfortunately the designated courier decided to start playing silly b*ggers and never picked it up from the seller (twice) so in the end it got delivered to me in person last weekend (thanks Mike!) and I had it pretty much stripped bare within half an hour. The sticking point, literally, was the XT BB, seized in the frame, and with no bench vice and a lousy cold and sinus infection hampering my usual Superwoman powers, I gave up and put the thing up for sale for a while!

Today I did a cycle jumble with my Dad, the frame didn't sell there, so when I went back to my parents for a cup of tea, Dad spent ten minutes in his workshop while I chatted to Mum, and as he had a bench vice, and I'd, ahem, loosened it a bit for him, it apparently came out pretty easily. And the XT BB is a UN71 in really nice condition!

So now, when I can be bothered to unload it from the car, it'll get a good polish and then I'll start the hunt for some cheap forks. I was going to get the frame powder coated, but to be fair the paint will come up pretty good and it is nice and original - plus I like the Cadbury's chocolate wrapper purple-y blue colour!! Then it's going to be a single speed, for now, with some nice lightweight parts to go on. Needs a longer seatpost, and of course it's an obscure size being an older Kona, but it's all doable with a bit of patience.

Attachments

• Cycle jumble 004.JPG
    Cycle jumble 004.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 893
  • Cycle jumble 006.JPG
    Cycle jumble 006.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 893
  • Cycle jumble 002.JPG
    Cycle jumble 002.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 893
  • Cycle jumble 001.JPG
    Cycle jumble 001.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 893
  • Cycle jumble 008.JPG
    Cycle jumble 008.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 893
Looking forward to updates and hope you keep this one ;)

I love the Kona's from this era and the 2 years before.

I've got some tatty Project 2 forks (threaded) and a matching Velocity stem lying around from similar vintage Fire Mountain. Send me PM if interested.

Re:

Thank you! That's a very kind offer, but I specifically wanted ahead so have just done a swap deal on some early RS Quadras, will do for now and keeps the budget on this low too. This had a Velocity stem, which I sold on.

Really hoping to get out in the workshop and get this polished up today but at the moment the weather is so awful I can't face it. Pics later if I do. In the meantime, I've ordered a dirt cheap seat post off eBay, and am looking at sealed bearing headsets on there too, only heard good things about them and for under a tenner it fits with the hack bike budget and I can have one in a nice colour..... :p

Re:

Oh, and I know what I am going to need if anyone has something suitable, a cable clamp thingy for the top tube so I don't have to run a full length of outer to the rear V brake.... :facepalm:

I had one, but gave it away with a similar frame I sold a while back :roll:

rapepper":36ahc9mm said:
I've got some tatty Project 2 forks (threaded) and a matching Velocity stem lying around from similar vintage Fire Mountain. Send me PM if interested.

Just for information purposes... the 1993 Hahanna and Fire mountain were 1", while the rest of the range were 1.125".

My_Teenage_Self":3t25xtmb said:
rapepper":3t25xtmb said:

Just for information purposes... the 1993 Hahanna and Fire mountain were 1", while the rest of the range were 1.125".
I said similar. My FM was a 1991 I think. Pretty sure I replaced the forks it came with with 1 1/8th ahead ones. I thought that would be OK for a hack bike hence the offer.

Cheers

Back