Help! Please can someone tell me year this kona is from?

Leighcal

Retro Guru
Just got this kona for a bargain price. Pick it up in the morning and more pictures will be added. Been waiting for something in my size. I prefer smaller frames and this one looks like it will be perfect. First plan will obviously be to get out on it asap, seller says it has been sat a while but still rides as is. Probably just be a case of new cables and get rid of those gripshifts for something a bit better. Been on the lookout a while now and there's been a few pop up but either too far away, too big frame size or not worth the money. This is worth every penny and once picked up tomorrow I will reveal all.

Thanks
Leigh

Attachments

• $_86 (18).JPG
    $_86 (18).JPG
    266.2 KB · Views: 831
That is a really nice blue... looking forward to the ride thread :)

I'm hoping some cables I have lying around will get me out on it later tomorrow. Been waiting for summat to come up, think I've found it.

Well I picked this up today, it's not bad condition at all, nice patina. Had a quick go up and down street and everything works. Rear mech was bit sticky but cleaned it up and all is good now. Never really got on with gripshifts in the past but I'll have another go. I'm gonna upgrade everything anyway if it's a frame I like riding.
Well see what you think for £20 it's a good buy in my book.

Attachments

• $_86 (18).JPG
    $_86 (18).JPG
    266.2 KB · Views: 728
  • $_86 (20).JPG
    $_86 (20).JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 728
  • $_86 (21).JPG
    $_86 (21).JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 728
  • $_86 (22).JPG
    $_86 (22).JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 728
  • $_86 (23).JPG
    $_86 (23).JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 728
  • $_86 (25).JPG
    $_86 (25).JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 728
  • $_86 (26).JPG
    $_86 (26).JPG
    87 KB · Views: 728
Most of rust is just surface nothing that's going to go through any time soon. I have however rubbed the thick off and put some kurust on the most affected parts. This should be ok I hope? I was thinking just a quick Clearcoat to preserve rather than adding any other paint and trying to find a match.
Have removed original cantis to clean them up and replaced with some crap I had lying around so it's still rideable. Originals were some c-star which are all alloy, ones I've put on for now are some steel, plastic covered one's. They work quite well but as I'm going to upgrade mechs and shifters/levers/both then I will probably get cantis to match. It has original racelight bars and velocity stem which will be staying, however I may try some risers and some wider bars just to see if it feels any better. Haven't had chance to have a proper ride as yet but have done around 4 miles to the doctors and back and half a hour out local with little lad on his balance bike. Feels nice to ride so far and I like the p2' s very much. Bike feels nice and light especially compared to the old 501 framed mtb I had last. No update pictures as yet, nothing worth showing tbh. Have changed rh shifter from grip shift to a old scrappy thumbie I had, grip shift really pee´s me off, not so much on left though. Have put on new brake cables and rear gear cable on so far.
If anyone wants the old kona brake levers or gripshifts then let me know, I'm after a front and rear mech and some different levers for cantilever brakes.

Leigh

Mona hahanna 1994, first ride added.

Well, as it's still school holidays there no change of a proper ride until my 3 year old lad goes back to nursery.
So with it been ok weather I took my lad to local woods on his balance bike. He's getting a proper bike for his birthday in a few weeks so needs the practice. Local woods is nice and safe away from roads, he has hills to go up and down and so do I :)
It's quite a long path 1/2-3/4mile to get to bits with hills but I wish I hadn't gone! Haven't been anywhere without being driven for the last 2 years, haven't been on a bike for 4 years or so, so very unfit but was surprising myself on climbs. There's a few steep ones, there's some lads that go down dirtjumping and stuff. Was a good hour or so until swmbo wanted to go home, was a couple of other tracks I want to but so watch this space.

Leigh

Attachments

• $_86 (27).JPG
    $_86 (27).JPG
    109 KB · Views: 588
  • $_86 (28).JPG
    $_86 (28).JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 588

Latest posts

Back