Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:13 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: 1997 Klein Pulse Comp
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:10 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I had bought one new in 1997 because i needed a work horse. I had a 16" Kona Lava Dome (I'm about 5.11 btw) and had tricked it out but needed something that fitted better and to get me to and from work as i couldn't drive and wasn't in a rush to learn either.

How I ended up deciding a Pulse Comp was the bike for me was because i wanted a aluminium frame, top tube cable routing, replaceable dropout (I know this doesn't have one) and it possibly the new V brakes. Seeing a Klein for £599.99 I couldn't resist so I saved up (thank you student grant) and purchased one. I spent about 3 years riding it, and ever so slowly replacing the worn out parts (compared to how quickly I tricked out the previous Kona), but I eventually moved to the city and need to cycle as a mode of transport died out as being a lad came first, and I could walk to the various workplaces.

So it got broken down in to parts and stored for a about 6 years (3 years riding and 6 years in pieces). i had bought a new pair of tires, and a new flite seat with the intention of rebuilding it but by the time I came to look at building it, i thought it was too old and a new bike was what I needed, so i sold the parts on including the frame etc. Oh boy was I wrong, I had purchased a 2006 Cannondale thinking this is what I needed but I didn't like how it rode, and then about 6 months after selling the frame, discovered Retrobike and my passion for nineties bikes was reignited.

So I kept a look out for 1997 Pulse Comp, and thought I'd found one in 2010, but it turned out to be a 1998 version after I went to pick it up. Other things took over my life so looking for a 1997 Pulse took a bit of a back seat, and then a few weeks back one came up at a distance that wasn't too far away and i made sure I was going to win it.

So now a proud owner what was I to do with it. I have a few good parts lying around that I've collected over the years but I wasn't happy tricking it out as I felt I needed to restore it to how i had it shortly before I broke it up. And so this is pretty much what you see - I still had the original 1998 Marzocchi Z3 forks (failed to sell them on here a while back) and also the original Magura brakes. i just needed to buy the period correct cranks, find an original seat (thank you FMJ), and replace the stem with a lower rise one (as i did bitd after I fitted the forks). I also replaced the front mech with M751 1997 XT front mech bitd, in conventional version (as the original Alivio one had worn bitd after 6 months and I trusted conventional version more).

This was the first bike I fitted spd's to so the correct models were also sort (even though I had spare other model spd's lying around). I've also sourced the grips i fitted bitd as well (I bought blue and black ones as I cant remember what colour I fitted).

I remember trying to source a suitable seat quick release but the 36.4mm size collar with a quick release didn't exist bitd, so I drilled the original one then fitted an X-lite seat q/r, but when I picked up a 1998 Pulse Comp I was able to buy a correct size one so that's been fitted in stead.

I still need to replace the seals in the forks, and fit fork boots, source fork decals and also secure the rear brake hose (just used zip ties bitd).

Sorry for the ramble but I feel my collecting has now come full circle and has satisfied an itch.

Attachments:
IMG_20160326_174542 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20160326_174542 (Medium).jpg [ 383.97 KiB | Viewed 585 times ]
IMG_20160326_174525 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20160326_174525 (Medium).jpg [ 404.9 KiB | Viewed 592 times ]

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:29 am 
Retro Guru

I have a 96. No, its not one of the really desirable Kleins. But I like how it rides, and that's what is important!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:59 am 
Retro Guru

I have those kind of cable holders for the Magura and recomend them:
http://www.cycle-basar.de/Bremsen-Zubeh ... inium.html
(German site for a picture)

I personally would not use Altus/Alivio parts because they wear out quite quicky when used in dirty conditions. But if you like them, its ok, I think.