'94 Saracen Kili XTR

Benmac

Old School Hero
Hi,

I've put this bike on here before in a couple of posts but never detailed it fully. I thought someone may be interested as there seems to be a fair bit of Saracen love on here.

I suppose the key thing with this one is that it is mine from new. From 92 to 94 I was riding a special edition 501 tubed Claud Butler, all 300LX. I adored it but I was needing a step up. The local shop where I hung out and whose club I rode with was a saracen dealer and pretty much everyone had one, all the way up to the spanky titanium version of my bike. So, one summer's worth of work saw me with enough to buy a Kili XTR frame and forks. The forks (which I sold on here a couple of years ago and wouldn't mind getting back were some straight legged things, quite cool looking). They stayed for a year or so until the Judy XCs came along after some more saving.

In terms of spec it is a hybrid currently of what it was and what I always wanted it to be. The Middleburns, Hope hubs on Mavic ceramics, 950 XTR Vs, Flite, Pace Renthal bar, etc are "original" as it were from my original build and then upgrade path. The USE post is a recent purchase but I always had a 3DV one on there. By 94 'd moved to blue so it always stuck out. I toyed with getting it redone in blue recently but then this blue one popped up on ebay. I was always too poor to justify XTR so the mechs were always XT but I've recently added an M900 FD and when I can find a decent condition and priced RD I'll whack that on too.

Finishing touch recently after a full strip and refit in September 15 are the replacement original decals from Gil which are the finishing touch! Oh, and I want to get hold of a slightly more elegant but similarly flat stem.

8965332C-F711-4DD3-AA9F-684CDBC5DE20_zpsjdgipxh8.jpg

C7D5866B-FDE2-4397-8824-048CC6EEE69D_zpsnjsndjp2.jpg

0B856EA5-7113-42BB-887A-942101850CE7_zpsm61aj3ej.jpg

6ACD9D01-B4C0-4CE6-9033-29814F963FC2_zpsbaygkvhj.jpg

That's nice :D

one question
aren't the tyres on the wrong way round, the XC would make for a better rear
and what looks like a Traction Pro which would favour the front

that said it looks great

really awesome!
interested in that blue ano clip you are using to attach the v brake cable - what is it / where did you get it / where can i get one? :)

Thanks gents

Hmmm, now I look at it you may well be right on the tyres, that may have happened during the rebuild.

The blue clip is something from BITD. A few frames, this one included, didn't have the requisite stops for V brakes (mine actually has a useful little steel noodle round the seat tube to direct the cable for cantis. Blue clip provides the required stop for the Vs (although never fitted perfectly as the top tube is slightly flattened at that point. Problemsolvers still make something that does the same thing just in boring black ;)

http://problemsolversbike.com/products/backstop

Back