Roberts Dogs Bolx 1994

jez-4-bikes-max

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Chaps.

Thought I'd post my Dogs Bolx which I've been restoring / building over the last month.

Bought from the original owner for a reasonable price. It was going to be a bit of gamble on the sizing side of things. Having owned two other Bolx's in the past they always come up a bit small. This was assured it was modelled on a 18" 1993 era Kona Explosif (at the customers request at purchase in 94) so it would have scraped into my sizing preference (I'm 6' 1"). There are noticeable differences in the tube profiles which I put down to Roberts decision to change of steel tubesets that were used in the Bolx production. Also the bike had its original fork which was cool.

Frame was in good order with chips in the paint and a bit of yellowing due to grease tarnishing the enamel paint. T-cut managed to get it bright again in most places but generally it looks pretty great and has escaped a respray.

Components were ok in it's original guise. Bolx's of this era always seem to come with X-ray gripshift and XT M737 (the s/h ones I've sourced always had this configuration). This build has a pair of Sugino Mighty 900 compact cranks which are great, lightweight M900 equivalents and a pair of original Specialized Hardpacks. Decided to keep the x-rays, whack M900 and swap the cranks for Syncros. Ditched the cheapo seatpost and saddle, sourced an X-lite click-on post (Syncros has no layback) and a Flite Transalp. Substituted the existing Cattleprod Syncros stem with a slightly shorter Syncros 1" quill cattleprod with rise. Fortunately the bike had some bling Campag cantis which I've kept, a Campag headset, M900 front mech, Onza silver chill pills, along with a correct era silver Taperlite flatbar bar.

Build as it stands is as follows:

1994 18" Dogs Bolx Frame and fork
Syncros Cattleprod 130mm, rise
Syncros Hanger doggy
Taperlite silver bars
Diacomp SS7 levers
Gripshift Xray with white sharkbite grips
Tioga grips
Xlite Alto Barends black

Campagnolo Icarus Or cantilevers
Onza silver chill pills
M900 XTR hubs with Campag Atek 36 hole
XT 8 speed rear cassette
Tioga Psycho Biscuit Tyres - NOS
Ringle silver skewers

M900 rear mech
M900 front mech
UN52 118mm BB
Syncros Revolution chainset with standard drive silver Middleburn rings x 3
Xt Spds

X-Lite Click on seatpost 420mm
94 Transalp Selle Italia flite in black

Re:

I love it, great build, not keen on the choice of tyres myself, but tyres are a personal choice for the rider anyway.

The forkPlay is sexy too.

Do you have pics of the frame and fork as you got it, and perhaps a frame number....?

Back