1992 Rocky Mountain Cirrus

TheJackel2013

Retro Guru
I picked up this 1992 Rocky Mountain Cirrus frame from the board here. Like all clearcoated bike of this vintage, the clear coat itself had turned yellow and started to flake off. Some chemical stripper and light polishing with 400 grit, it looked good as new. I didn't want to make the frame too shiny or mirror-like. Decals are from Gil. I don't have too many before or in process pictures. Hopefully Thias won't mind me using his 'before' picture

And After :D

Re:

Now you're just showing off!!

Looks pretty perfect to me.

al.

Wowsers!
Love what you did to my old frame :D
I am glad is is in such capable hands.

Did you have any troubles with those bottlecage bolts?

Thats the bike shortly after I got it from the original owner:

Now its so much better :cool:

Thanks for all the compliments.

Surprisingly I had no problems with the bottle bolts, or any of the other threads on the bike.

The clear coat was beat up and yellow, but the chemical stripper made it easy work. The only problem was it kept on eating through my latex gloves but I wouldn't realize it until my hands started to burn (should have bought proper ones, I know)

I always loved Purple. It was so cool back in 1990/1991. LOL On the bike, the purple RM stickers means that it's going to always have a purple theme.

great job restoring the finish on the frame! :cool:

don't want to put a damper on your results but you have your decals the wrong way on the frame. the shadow effect, in your case the purple, should be at left (towards the rear) of the black lettering on the drive side. and to the right (again towards the rear) on the non-drive side.

Very nice, I kinda liked the bike how it was but think you've done a great job and what a result. Personally I like the purple touch on bikes as long as its not over the top. How long did it take to clean up the frame by the way?

TheJackel2013":274exk52 said:
Thanks for all the compliments.

Surprisingly I had no problems with the bottle bolts, or any of the other threads on the bike.

The clear coat was beat up and yellow, but the chemical stripper made it easy work. The only problem was it kept on eating through my latex gloves but I wouldn't realize it until my hands started to burn (should have bought proper ones, I know)

I always loved Purple. It was so cool back in 1990/1991. LOL On the bike, the purple RM stickers means that it's going to always have a purple theme.

Very nice. Which chemical stripper did you use?. And did you re clear coat?

Latest posts

Back