Fuelling my kona addiction, '93 kilauea!

Spudly

Retrobike Rider
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Good day to you all, thought I best put a few pics up of my newest kona addition.
Picked this up from Chrisv40 about a month ago as a bare frame, had no idea which direction to go in regarding the build but I knew I wanted it!
I'd sourced a lovely set of judys initially to go on my zaskar but after mocking them up on the kona I knew they had to go on!!

So after swapping the crown/steerer for one with a longer steerer length and changing the brace for one with a canti hanger, a lovely new fsa headset was acquired and it was fitted up,threw on some wheels to make her a rolling chassis and dug out my nos xt cantis!

Cantis fitted up and I remembered having some kona race light bars and some kona high command levers too so they all went on!

Cabled her up the other weekend whilst waiting on a bb to arrive to finish her all off and was itching to get her out on the trails already!

Then when the bb landed I fitted the chain and crankset and she was ready to go,did have her finished in time for the peaks ride, however I couldn't get out of work so couldn't make it unfortunately!

Out on the trails for the first time last Wednesday night and loved every second of it, rides better than I could've expected!

Spec:-

1993 Kona Kilauea in 20" size.
Fsa orbit II headset, kona ahead stem, race light handlebars with high command levers, xt thumbs hitters.
Clarks prelube cableset and clarks grips.
NOS xt cantis, kona dog collar and matching seat clamp, thomson elite seatpost and charge spoon seat.
M900 crankset and derailleurs.
Xt hubs with double butted spokes,FIR rim on the rear with a mavic 227 up front, wtb velociraptor tyres front and rear.
Shimano spd pedals.
A very impressive build/spec considering 80% of it was thrown together from my parts bin, albeit a couple of bits were borrowed from others lol.
Comments welcome peeps, John.

Re:

Well it didn't take you long to get that together did it!

Nice to see someone building a proper sized bike too! Looks ace !

Mike

Re:

Nice looking bike. Forks tie in well with the paint on the front half of the bike.
How tall are you btw ?

Re:

What's the seat tube c to c by the way? Looks like a lot of nadger clearance! :LOL:

Re:

So pleased to see this get the love it deserves, far better build than I did on it too mate!!

Cheers for the comments peeps, im just over six foot tall so it fits me like a glove, my other two konas are both 19's so they fit but i have to use a 410mm post to make sure i have the height right, not sure on the top tube length as i havent a tape measure to hand just now.
Waiting on a replacement m900 rear mech to land as the one on it is getting lazy and wont hit 8th cog properly, and i also seem to be looking for a silver thomson seat post for it, damn i seem to be so impressionable when it comes to people on here and old skool parts haha!

Re:

Leave the black post, a nice controltech black stem. I don't like that chunky silver thing.

What was the maiden ride midnight repair by the way;-)

The forks look to be the '95 at 50mm travel :). The springs hard enough?

Was nothing wrong with the kona Ben, was a freehub problem on James' klange unfortunately, ive just realise i have a kona race light post in the zaskar/wall ornament so ive robbed that back and im unsure whether or not i like it tbf, i think the judys are just about borderline for me, need to drop a bit of timber so they may be right once im back out a little more often than i have been haha!

Back