1990 Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue

shogun

Senior Retro Guru
Recently picked this up from a mate, wanted one for a fair while.
It's the 1990 Team Issue, frame is Tange Prestige, build is full XT with M-091 STI, Strong seatpost, RM17 Arayas and Tioga Avenger fork/Avenger OS headset/T-Bone Prestige OS/Prestige bar/Biogrip Pro (Shogun was a house brand in the same stable as Tioga).
Came without tyres so I stuck on some mint Specialized Storm Controls I had stashed away, will probably get it some Timbuk2s as the Tioga Dawgs originally specced are both hard to get and crap.
Original Turbo Special saddle was AWOL, had been swapped with a lycra covered Vetta Gel sometime but I have stuck a Super Turbo on it. Apart from the tyres, grips and saddle it's pretty much as delivered and the newest part appears to be the 1992 stamped cassette.

The paint is very tired with lots of spidering and rub through but this is a rider; I'm just going to give it a bit of a cut back and wax to keep the rust from oxidising much further. I don't mind the patina. I've not cleaned it yet, just gotten it rideable.
Ride is very upright with a high feeling BB but quite comfortable and sharp handling. It's very easy to wheelie, bunnyhop etc; it is fun!

It's funny how everyone seems to have a story about these but there's so few that seem to have have survived. Very nicely built frame.

1990 Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue by floody31, on Flickr

Re:

That's really nice - such a great paint job. I can see why you're happy with it. :D

And I now know a little more than I did about Shoguns (I'd never heard of them until I moved to Aus).

BTW, if you ever want to remove the rust get yourself down to a pool shop and get some Citra-Clean. Dissolve it in water (1 part to 10 parts water) put your frame in it and leave it for 24 - 36 hours depending on how bad the rust is. Give it a wipe with an old washing-up scourer and the rust comes right off. (I also dunk my frames into an alkaline solution, just to neutralise the citric acid).

Re:

That's a lovely looking bike!
I remember Shogun aluminium road frames from the mid nineties but not sure if it's the same company.
Would be a nightmare to get a respray like that I imagine so preserving the original sounds like the best option.
Have fun on it ! :cool:

Mike

Re:

Saw this and thought of this bike, such a cool bike, and got my vote so far i think... :cool:

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_4891 (2).jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4891 (2).jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 731
Is this Floody or was it bought off Floody? I drooled over this bike and nearly every other bike Floody touched when it was posted on a car forum years ago. Super cool bike.

Nice bike. We didn't see too many Shogun's around here, but there were a few. I remember them using triple triangle frames like GT. Obviously that one isn't one. Maybe they started that later.

dirttorpedo":2dl2z9bt said:
Nice bike. We didn't see too many Shogun's around here, but there were a few. I remember them using triple triangle frames like GT. Obviously that one isn't one. Maybe they started that later.

When Hardcore started up in Edmonton, they sold Shogun. I saw a guy two summers ago rolling around the South side on one, and I think there was one on Kijiji last summer.

Really cool bike!

Re: Re:

sinnerman":2e4x14sd said:
Saw this and thought of this bike, such a cool bike, and got my vote so far i think... :cool:

Whoa! Thanks for posting that, super cool to see the ad! I like how no two seem to be exactly alike in the paint.

Milpool, "Well, of course I know him. He's me!" :LOL:

aguycalled80":skg4tpzg said:
dirttorpedo":skg4tpzg said:

When Hardcore started up in Edmonton, they sold Shogun. I saw a guy two summers ago rolling around the South side on one, and I think there was one on Kijiji last summer.

Really cool bike!

Cheers guys!

The triple triangle frames run up to the 1989 model year, kind of multi-colour block in '87, red/black/white/chrome in '88, black with silver splatter in '89, then in 1990 they went back to the traditional frame design. I'd REALLY like an '89 triple triangle Prairie Breaker Team Issue, they have really cool paint, like so (pic from the internet, this one was in West Australia and I juuuuuust missed out on it a few years back):
file.php

Back