Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:01 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:28 am 
Retro Guru

Recently picked this up from a mate, wanted one for a fair while.
It's the 1990 Team Issue, frame is Tange Prestige, build is full XT with M-091 STI, Strong seatpost, RM17 Arayas and Tioga T-Bone Prestige OS/Prestige bar/Biogrip Pro (Shogun was a house brand in the same stable as Tioga).
Came without tyres so I stuck on some mint Specialized Storm Controls I had stashed away, will probably get it some Timbuk2s as the Tioga Dawgs originally specced are both hard to get and crap.
Original Turbo Special saddle was AWOL, had been swapped with a lycra covered Vetta Gel sometime but I have stuck a Super Turbo on it. Apart from the tyres, grips and saddle it's pretty much as delivered.

The paint is very tired with lots of spidering and rub through but this is a rider; I'm just going to give it a bit of a cut back and wax to keep the rust from oxidising much further. I don't mind the patina. I've not cleaned it yet, just gotten it rideable.
Ride is very upright with a high feeling BB but quite comfortable and sharp handling. It's very easy to wheelie, bunnyhop etc, should be fun! It's not low, long and racey like my Mongoose, it feels quite modern really.

It's funny how everyone seems to have a story about these but there's so few that seem to have have survived. Very nicely built frame.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:36 am 
Retro Guru

That's really nice - such a great paint job. I can see why you're happy with it. :D

And I now know a little more than I did about Shoguns (I'd never heard of them until I moved to Aus).

BTW, if you ever want to remove the rust get yourself down to a pool shop and get some Citra-Clean. Dissolve it in water (1 part to 10 parts water) put your frame in it and leave it for 24 - 36 hours depending on how bad the rust is. Give it a wipe with an old washing-up scourer and the rust comes right off. (I also dunk my frames into an alkaline solution, just to neutralise the citric acid).

Last edited by JonTom on Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:21 am 
gold | rider | rBoTM
gold | rider | rBoTM

That's a lovely looking bike!
I remember Shogun aluminium road frames from the mid nineties but not sure if it's the same company.
Would be a nightmare to get a respray like that I imagine so preserving the original sounds like the best option.
Have fun on it ! 8)

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:00 pm 
B.o.T.Y. Winner / Gold Trader
B.o.T.Y. Winner / Gold Trader

love it, love the colour scheme, love the whole Tioga everything