$9 Proflex 856 Build!

34henry3w

Retro Guru
In my quest to build a perfect replica of my high school proflex 856, I ended up buying 5 complete bikes on ebay. I built the replica using the best pats from all 5, a second bike with the second best parts....third bike with third best parts and so on..

Bike 1 became my replica (see link in my signature)
Bike 2 was sold
Bike 3 went to my buddy for a lot of beer
Bike 4 was sold

Bike "5" never was built because, being that it was a pile of the 5 worst parts, it wasn't worth it...everything was broken, missing..trashed. So "Bike 5" sat in a few rubbermaid bins for over a year.

Over the past years, my "Bike 1" replica basically hangs on the wall in my den and is never taken off road. It occurred to me that I should build a proflex that I actually could take off road. A bit rough around the edges..So this is what I did!

I pulled out all my remaining parts and got to work. I had an NOS front triangle I had scored a while back and this would be the base for the rider...IT had never had a front derailleur installed..

I supplemented missing parts with other cast aways from my bowti project etc. A friend had a good set of green wildgrippers and gave them to me for free! I found some awesome parts I totally forgot I had....NOS syncros stem!.

The girvin fork was a disaster. the worst parts from 5 forks..I had to make all new washers for it, and dremel out all the bushings to get it to move smoothly. I had to helicoil a stripped thread. I still had some leftover NOS decals which I used to repair the ones on the fork. after all that the fork works perfect!

Any of you proflex owners know the pain of installing the front derailleur. do yourself a favour an make a custom allen key like I did (See pic)

unlike my drawn out builds, this one came together in 2 afternoons. I took it for a ride with my GF and it rode perfectly!

The only parts I had to buy for this build was a single stainless shifter cable and the material for the washers...$9! total!

This one will get dirty!

Attachments

• Capture 3.JPG
    Capture 3.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,273
  • Capture 2.JPG
    Capture 2.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 1,273
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 1,273
Re:

more

Attachments

• Capture 6.JPG
    Capture 6.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,275
  • Capture 5.JPG
    Capture 5.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,275
  • Capture 4.JPG
    Capture 4.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 1,275
Re:

thanks Jamis let me think about it!

Bike works great! took it out to the east coast with me!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,145
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 1,145
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 1,145
Back