10 years later..... Proflex

retrobikeguy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
In the early days, before many of you knew of retrobike ..... http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=756

And so here we are, I needed to move forward with this project, my goal was a nice team proflex RF-1, albeit a replica, I know of 2 original genuine RF-1's and miliu has one.

proflex_zpsuiqpvgut_jpg_original.jpg

I was originally going pillar box red rear & fork but after seeing miliu's I could see it was more the 750's original colour but personal taste kicked in so I went for something that didnt look so pale & faded and more...... well, colour.

after 6 weeks of waiting and missed voicemails from jorvik engineering I finally received the frame back into my possession :)

IMG_20150501_181250_zps2ulaykik_jpg_original.jpg

IMG_20150501_181150_zpsd9kguxlx_jpg_original.jpg

I'm Happy :D

RBG

Re:

With wishing to be rude

Why would you want a bike with a rigid front end and a saggy rear
Surly that's ass about face.... I don't get it unless your gonna run 200 pound flex stem up front

Re: Re:

Retro Spud":3ihfv2x4 said:
Why would you want a bike with a rigid front end and a saggy rear

Many moons ago Gary Klein designed the Mantra full suspension bike as a rear only suspension bike relying on the rider remaining seated to get maximum effect. He had to change it because the market expected suspension forks, not because the design didn't work.

Also bear in mind that the Proflex has very little rear movement, like a soft tail cross bike (think moots) so a flex stem matches nicely!

Finally, when these first came out they preceded the first decent forks

Re:

Yup, sure enough, the front end will have a flexstem, and I have had a Ti one sat in my shed for many years, standard on the team issue RF-1. The XST was the top end one piece bar/stem combo and came along just as affordable suspension forks were coming onto the market meaning it was overpriced and an out of date upgrade.

still nice though.

9900ce365a133419a60bc3c0e745ab70.jpg

Saggy lol, these are retro bikes, pioneers of your modern full suspension bikes back in the day they were tight and responsive. In the MBUK test they loved the proflex 750

➡️ http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

I loved these bikes, I owned the steel 550 and later this 750, they ride great, and yes by these days standards they are like soft-tails.... but hey, this is a Retro full susser.

God! you shoulda tried riding the beastie bike!

RBG

10 years??!

Heres my 752 with the ti one piece bars - you can see how many changes had been made by 1992

*as for the ride, it wasnt that bad at all. The stem was never great but the rear end propelled well enough - I was using saddle elastomers as a rear spring but it worked and the design worked well for the time.

*and: with no heavy shock/ spring it was a very lightweight off road bike

file.php

Re:

decals applied, had the decals from Gil_m for about as long as the frame, still good tho. not quite the same colour on the wiggle but I'm happy.

IMAG0378_zpsloqbzi2e_jpg_original.jpg

and busy with a rattle can of black paint on the diacompe 986's and SS5's :)

IMAG0376_zpsfbrywhvy_jpg_original.jpg

Nice work RBG :) Is that an original rear elastomer? And good to see someone doing their own painting on the smaller bits :)

Re:

Yup DS, original elastomer, not sure how its gonna act when the curtain goes up so we may have to invest in the thudbuster spares on offer. I later realised the yellow buffer was the wrong way around :roll:

this has been rectified ;)

Ti flexstem added along with the freshly painted dia compe brakeset and some XT thumbies with polished clamps. the original seatpost is now back in its rightful place and a sexy super comfy turbo saddle is perched on top.

wheels will be changed

as you may have noticed, fitted a nice ultegra 600 rear derailleur :shock: standard equipment on this model BITD

IMAG0373_zps1lqvtv5a.jpg

Now......... if anyone has a 31.8mm endless band for the front derailleur ...... I need one as I just overtightened mine :oops:

RBG

Back