1987 Saracen Kili Flyer

Rodrigues

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Picked up this on ebay a few weeks back:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=318313

All original. Bit rusty and battered but can be sorted.

The bad news? Seat post was well stuck
The good news? Plus gas + hired muscle = not stuck now :)
The other bad news? Stem is stuck in forks
The bad bad news? I twisted the forks a bit with the same hired muscle, and it's still stuck :facepalm:

I'll get some pics up shortly but what do people think about the forks? Shall I just straighten them back in a vice? Send them to a frame builder / restorer? Junk them?

I plan to use this as a bit of a tourer / bridleways / gravel paths etc. is it dangerous with a fork like this? Will add a pic soon to show the damage - to me it looks modest. But then what do I know? :D

16360741284_47f5a02b59_c.jpg

Have you established if it's the quill or the expander mate?

Re:

I just re-read your first post and realised that you've twisted the forks, not them stem :shock: What a bummer mate :(

Do you think they are fubar? In theory if I twisted them one way.....

The plus gas has done sweet fa overnight. I've read a lot of people saying when the stem is stuck, it's stuck. Just cut it, bin it, and try to save the errr twisted forks.

Re:

I could feel forks bending on a road bike I had this problem with once.

If the stem is proper stuck I would give it a fair few weeks of soaking to try again.

But unlike seat posts if the stem means little in the scheme of things cutting it off and hacksawing it out won't be too hard. Easier access than seatposts.

Take it stem is steel so can't freeze it out?

Depends how bent the forks are but I'd probably not worry much. Not unless its going to be properly hammered in use.

Looking forward to some updates.

Thanks dude. I have plenty of time so will soak em for a few weeks and try again. Will get some pics up tomorrow.

I had a seriously stuck stem that no amount of soaking could remove. I didn't have access to any heavy duty vices or the like but eventually passed on the frame to a mate who has a metalwork and welding business. He got it out in the end but it took him ages and he never told me what he had to do! Not much help eh :roll:

after some cleaning unfortunately the drive side rear drop out is cracked......heading for the skip i think :facepalm:

Latest posts

Back