AMP B3/F3XC - My Unicorn

ovlov440

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
For whatever reason I have always liked the look of the AMP frames and forks. I had an F3XC (alloy) fitted to my DB Apex for a few years but went back to P2's and sold the fork in a fit of madness.

Since joining this site I have time and again thought about building an AMP bike up to my own specification. I procrastinated over it for a while, almost pulled the trigger on a couple but didn't because, well I am a knob :facepalm:

When Niall (unit3) posted a couple of AMP's up last year I got in contact. My preferred choice as it turned out was going to be too small when comparing the measurements to my daily ride (a Prophet SL) but as it turned out Mr Niall had another frame stashed away that he hadn't listed and it was just the size for me. A deal was done for the frame and the set of F3XC (carbon) forks he had and after many years of um-ing and er-ing I finally committed and bought them.

The frame overall was in good nick and as described. The only blemish was a crack on the drive side rear dropout. This has been repaired by the addition of an aftermarket dropout/hanger which unless you knew looks almost stock. It works fine when the wheel is bolted in but I will be having it welded at some point.

The week after the frame and fork landed a complete AMP fork rebuild kit turned up on Ebay. These are like hens teeth now that Brion has run out so I snapped that up. Rebuilding the fork was 'interesting'. Removing the pivots was the trickiest part and involved several stints in the oven at Gas Mk6 to get the pesky buggers out. I came, I saw and I conquered and now the fork is as good as new. The rear shock was also stripped and rebuilt.

Parts are a mix. Some bits are brand new (XT V-brakes and Token BB) some new to me (XT STI's, Rear Mech, Front Mech, Rolf Propel wheels, Stem and SPD's). The rest I had lying around as spares. The Strongarm cranks was given a sanding and polishing with the addition of some black chainring bolts (the theme is a plain and simple black and silver one). The addition of V-Brakes messes with the cable routing and means that a couple of cables need to cross. TO keep this neat I have done this underneath the top tube behind the rear shock. It means the smoothest cable path and keeps the outers away from the headtube.

I haven't weighed it. It's pretty light but not stupidly so. I want to ride it first and see what it is like before I invest anything else in it.

Anyway - here she is. Hope you like.

Ade

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e6135s3gwm6t ... Kd6ea?dl=0

Re: AMP B2/F3XC - My Unicorn

She's a beauty, lovely job on the build :)

I have a 94 Shock a Billy so similar, and love the way it rides.

Looks sweet dude, I haven't been able to ride mine building it in December!!!

Great job you have done there Ade :cool:

Really like the build and that it went to a good home, other wise im sure it would have continued it's life with all the other frames I have in the loft :facepalm:

Hope to get a look over it in person at some point, I should be heading back over to Martins in the next few weeks.

Niall.

That looks excellent!. I also have an AMP (B3), and my name is Ade...what are the chances!

Re:

OK, so now I have ridden this a couple of times I have undertaken a few (minor) changes.

Firstly, to deal with the squealing XT V-Brakes I have fitted an AMP brace on the rear seatstays, and a CNC'd number on the front fork. The rear one especially makes a huge difference!

I had a set of barends knocking around so I have slapped them on as well for comfort.

The biggest change though is with the rear shock. I bought a Risse Elroy (in purple). After attempting to get it apart myself I eventually enlisted Capt Wadsy and his 'gun of sun' (heat gun). This, a fecking big vice, a long lever, brute force and a little ignorance won the day and the shock was in pieces.

Once apart I set about removing the purple anodising. 10 or so applications of Oven Pride was the order of the day and that left me with a plain silver shock which a few rubs of AutoSol brought up to a presentable state.

I must say that I am disappointed with Risse. Despite assurances on their website that they will continue to support all their products etc etc I have emailed 4 times (no response) and phoned 6 times (no pickup). In the end I measured the seals and ordered replacements of off Ebay (£4.50 for 10 sets!) and took a chance that the service instructions of the current range of air/oil cans were the same as mine. A can full of 5wt oil, and 160psi to back it up saw the new shock rebuilt and in place on the bike.

I haven't ridden it in this form yet but with the sun out it won't be long before I do!

Attachments

• SAM_0579.JPG
    SAM_0579.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,589
  • SAM_0578.JPG
    SAM_0578.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,589
  • SAM_0577.JPG
    SAM_0577.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,589
Re:

Looking good :cool: