Chas Roberts D.O.G.S B.O.L.X now finished...

H

Retro Guru
Evening All.
I sit happy, Scotch in hand after a rude day in the saddle of my 1994 DB. It's been a carefully considered long running birth often restricted by lack of cash and/or time. Happily the patience of my family has been rewarded by what you see here. I bet they sneakily hope they'll now see less of me.

Finished Specification as per build date (1994)
Frame: Chas Roberts D.O.G.S B.O.L.X
Fork: Chas Roberts
Headset: Mavic
BB: Shimano / Royce bolts
Seat Binder: X-Lite
Seat Pin: X-Lite ZE
Seat: Flite Alpes
Stem: Ringle
Bars: USE (NOS)
Grips: ODI
Shifters/Brakes: M900 XTR STI with red bolts (originals long gone)
Front Mech: M900 XTR
Rear Mech: M900 XTR
Chainset: Middleburn RS1
Chain Rings: Outer Middleburn 46 / Middle Stronglight 36 / Inner Pace 24
Chain Ring Bolts: Outer Venhill / Inner Middleburn
Pedals: Shimano DX
Front Hub: Hope Fatso
Front Rim: Mavic 217
Front Spokes: DT double butted
Front Tyre: Onza Rip 2.2 folding
Rear Hub: Hope Ti-Glide
Rear Rim: Mavic 317
Rear Spokes: DT double butted
Rear Tyre: Onza Rail 2.2 folding
Cassette: XT 8 speed
Brake Cantilevers: M900 XTR
Straddle Wire: Ringle Mojo
Brake Bolts: X-Lite NOS
Bottle Cage Bolts: SRP

Anyhow, the story so far.

November 2012
Complete bike bought of fleabay. I've overpaid, but I'm guessing as this is a 'forever bike' it will in the passage of time become to sound like a bargain. A quick strip down and pooling of the contents of my garage gets it on the trail. Frame, forks headset, battered flite, seat binder and stem are kept from the original.

December 2012
Bike is put together using pooled parts, these include wheels, chainset from an old track bike and seat pin. The NOS bars are inserted along with tatty Specialized grips. Singles speed fun prevails till I can leverage some action from Santa.

January 2013
A spending spree offers up some vital parts to the rolling chassis. Shifter combos and cantis are fitted, so going uphill now becomes a viable option too.

Summer 2014
A chance viewing of Racer X's red SRP bottle cage bolts gets me all misty eyed on the run up to the Warwick Icons bash. Newly motivated, I now snap these up and begin looking with a purpose, that is to get Chas looking 1994 again.

November 2014
Reproduction Flite along with 1994 Alpes and 1991 Flite bought of fleabay. The Roberts gets the Alpes, and the others find homes as perches on my Cotic and Brodie respectively.
Ringle Mojo hangers bought for my birthday right here off RB by a very caring and understanding wife end up on Chas. That night, I trudge reluctantly back to the dining table for a late tea. I also cure a nagging squeak from my bike mounted posterior through the purchase of a new titanium seat binder bolt. The old canti-bolts are also swopped out for some NOS X-Lite jobbies and I'm well chuffed.

December 2014
Chain Reaction Cycles now offer up some new ODI grips (at £9 including postage). Racer X also steps forward with some Royce BB bolts.

January 2015
I swap out the QR's for some correct era Hopes and finally decide on the right decal for the seat pin (thanks Gil).

Both Chas and I hope to see you on the trail, give us a wave if you see us. Safe riding and may the wind be at your back. : )

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 792
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 792
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 792
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 793
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 792
Re:

Nice job, worth the wait to get it looking this good! :cool:

Mike

Re:

Chas rides long and low. The size is 17' bb centre to tt centre. Thanks for all the enthusiasm. H

Re:

About 19" to top then? How long are the top and headtube may I ask?

Was the frame custom built for you ?

myk

So the wife Knows your having an affair then.... :LOL:

Lovely clean example, with a great fork to boot.

Back