Fat Chance 94' Yo Eddy – Re-cycle-starter challenge

WWC

Senior Retro Guru
Hello everybody

When I first heard that a Fat Chance revival was on the cards I thought what a cracking excuse for a new daily rider but now the dust is settling on his plans (and costs) I’m slightly less enthusiastic at the prospect.

Nothing against what he’s doing and if I had a choice of any new HT frame as a gift in 2015 it’d be one of his but to buy with money £1,650 is blinking expensive. Add to that a build cost to do it justice and you’re talking £2,500 to £3,000!

However that doesn’t stop me wanting a new Fat Chance daily rider…

Well I say new but what I really want is a one with true Fat City heritage that I can chuck in the car without fear of chipping shiny £320 Argos aqua-fade paint or bashing a NOS machine tech canti.

So here is the challenge: Bring in a usable Yo Eddy build, from quality parts, for as far under the price of a new frame as possible before the first batch are delivered!

Please feel free to have a go yourselves as I think it’ll be quite a good game!

Framed for a crime he didn’t commit: I was just about to take a punt a 95’ that needed a new seat tube when a slightly tatty but solid and original 94’ popped up on the for sale board for £350. Size medium and with the seat clamp and anti chainsuck plate included we are off and running!

Total: £350

Forking hell: The next obstacle was a useable set of 1” suspension forks. I thought this was going to be a huge pain as 1” SIDs in good condition don’t crop up that frequently and I’m not keen on elastomers. Apparently the ebay gods were smiling on me this weekend as set of relatively tidy Judy DH with the rare and required steerer width didn’t sell so were relisted and then snapped up for £99!

Total: £449

Scuffed my bits: When confirming a few things with the frame seller he kindly offered me these:

Tatty/scuffed Syncros seatpost - £20
Sachs Quartz FM - £10

Total: £479

Stemming the tide: quick post on the wanted board didn’t have time to get any traction as a silver Control Tech stem was there for the buying on the for sale board at £30.

Total: £509

Wheelie good luck: On reserve in my carefully organised parts bin (pile in the shed) are a set of broadly matching hope Ti wheels that cost £110 a while back.

Total: £619

Head, set and match: The frame bone can now be connected to the fork bone via a budget stretching No-Logo Chris King that didn’t stretch the budget too much at £55.

Total: £674

Time to crank it up: A truly buck shaving value for money LX Chainset helps get things back on track at £15! Looks the part keeping the vague red, black and gold/yellow colour scheme alive too..

Total £699

That’s all for now but check back for more time wasting pun laden content in the near future…

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,785
Nice! Black LX is a great looking group and functions just as well as XT. An all black LX build on that red would look smashing.

Re:

Cheers dude, couple more pics and bits...

Pedal-oh!: Shark Bites from the cupboard under the stairs bought at a bargain £14 around a year ago!

Total: £713

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 1,700
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,700
Re:

Flippin well spotted!

The serial is a 94' medium and apparently it was re-painted by Argos so imagine the additional decal was applied then.

Eagle-eyed effort...

Re: Re:

WWC":uk8l63o6 said:
Flippin well spotted!

The serial is a 94' medium and apparently it was re-painted by Argos so imagine the additional decal was applied then.

Eagle-eyed effort...

Got the MSC in Fatology but still working towards the Phd :LOL:

Back