1991 Klein Attitude Dolomite

Olan21

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello,
I have been working in several projects at the same time and one of them is nearly finish now.

I bought a 1991 Dolomite bike in not really good conditions some months ago. It has been bought from the original owner and the bike was well used. The green area color, the decals and the fork were in a good conditions taking in account is a bike 23 years old. However the white area was in poor condition, no paint on the bottom bracket area and bubbles in several places (Rear brake hose hole, horizontal tube...).

I decided to keep the bike as original as possible not making a complete repaint of the frame, just fixing the damaged areas. It help me that the decals were nearly complete.

At the end the white color is fully repaint (keeping the original Attitude decals), the magenta is repaint in certain areas and the green just on the junction with the white. The fork is with the original painting just clear coat film is applied on as well as on the complete frame.

Once the job of the frame were on going the question was what components are necessary to build up the frame. There are no so many components can suit well on a Dolomite IMHO. The two preferred options to me were the Camapgnolo Centaur-Euclid or the shimano XT-730-32-35 group. I decided to go for the XT because I had some components already available at home, it is more easy to find and it less expensive. I tried to keep the original Klein Attitiude Team USA specification as per 1990/91 brochure.
I am still assembling the bike but all the components are available and I hope to finish in the next days. Better pics will come soon.
Thanks

Attachments

• Klein 1.jpg
    Klein 1.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,456
  • KLein 2.jpg
    KLein 2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,456
  • KLein Attitude dolomite 1991.jpg
    KLein Attitude dolomite 1991.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,456
Re:

Great job! I like that you didn't repaint the whole thing but kept the original parts of the paint that was still ok.

I lone these and the spec is how i would build one of my own. One thing I can't understand is why Klein would spec such a cheap and awful looking saddle on such a highend bike. Surely a Flite or Turbo both in leather rather than current trend of the time lycra would have suited better.

Carl.

drcarlos":1ckuhwp2 said:
I lone these and the spec is how i would build one of my own. One thing I can't understand is why Klein would spec such a cheap and awful looking saddle on such a highend bike. Surely a Flite or Turbo both in leather rather than current trend of the time lycra would have suited better.

Carl.

I have to agree on the saddle comment.

Anyway, congrats on your latest purchase, Oriol. It looks terrific with the touched up paint and the full XT. Looking forward to more photos.

PS: Outline decals and box fork, just like mine. BTW, I´m working on it and I hope to post some photos soon.

Re:

Thank you for your comments.

I will update the post with some close pictures asap.

I agree with the comments of the saddle, I really like the flite too. However I think the Avocet is the right saddle for a box fork Dolomite. The other bikes that I have are all suit with flites.

The size is a 20" (M size)

Avovet are awful. I took mine off and put it on the shelf. I ride it with a Rolls. I want comfort, as it is ridden !!!

Back