1994 Manitou DH, Beneke Replica

Skynet

Senior Retro Guru
It's not arrived yet but I've just bought a crack and dent free (fingers crossed it stays that way for a while) 18" 1994 Manitou DH frame complete with XTR front mech, seat post, forks and built up front wheel. It doesn't come with a stem but, despite looking very nice, think the shortest Manitou was 120mm which is probably too long anyway.

For anyone who doesn't know the DH used the same front triangle as the FS but they lengthened the chainstays by an inch. That both increased the wheelbase and upped the travel to 3 inches.

It will be back in one piece when it arrives but don't suppose for long. Apparently it was ridden for no more than 200KM back in '94 and then stored.

It needs a polish, minor touch up of the chain stay and top tube decals. Unsurprisingly the front forks also need new elastomers, think I read that they're Manitou 3 internals on the '94 in which case I have them, if not no biggie.

Jurgen Beneke used Magura Raceline's, never liked the look of Magura's but they suit this. Quite fancy a Tioga Disc Drive too, just because. Certainly won't be using Grip Shift as Jurgen did though, remember hating them. So time to have a think and update the wanted ads.

Found this '94 vid that I'd not seen before, in German but doesn't matter much
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hidjgv0Mfo

Anyway, just their few pics for now.

Attachments

• Manitou-DH-02f.jpg
    Manitou-DH-02f.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 6,380
  • Manitou-DH-01f.jpg
    Manitou-DH-01f.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 6,379
  • Manitou-DH-03f.jpg
    Manitou-DH-03f.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 6,381
Re: 1994 Manitou DH

Nice! I love the Manitou FS and DH frames. I got a '94 manitou FS myself which I have to get around to do some work on it (crack free!). Since you have the rear fork apart: how do the black plungers at the bottom of the stanchions attach to the main fork legs? Is it just a guide hole with a pin in it? Or are they bolted on? I'm trying to convert mine to Englund air cartridges front and back. While the front one is a drop in solution, the back one would require more work but it should be solvable. Then I would be free from the tyranny of the crumbling elastomer stacks!

Sorry but no idea. They're the seller's pics and he's the one who has taken them apart to service. But there are a few on here with FS's that can probably be of more use (wouldn't be hard).

syncrosfan":wlutrm1a said:
Nice! I love the Manitou FS and DH frames. I got a '94 manitou FS myself which I have to get around to do some work on it (crack free!). Since you have the rear fork apart: how do the black plungers at the bottom of the stanchions attach to the main fork legs? Is it just a guide hole with a pin in it? Or are they bolted on? I'm trying to convert mine to Englund air cartridges front and back. While the front one is a drop in solution, the back one would require more work but it should be solvable. Then I would be free from the tyranny of the crumbling elastomer stacks!

Ben recently serviced some on the back of his Titanium FRS so he may able to help you.

Benandemu":wlutrm1a said:
I decided to sort the rear end of this last night. Things look a tad simpler than the fronts, so without the use of a manual, I took the plunge.

Start by pulling some more of the stanchion through the crown so that you can a get a decent grip on the blue adjuster knob. Unfortunately my adjusters had seized pretty badly, and needed heavy mechanical assistance to undo them. This was always going to cause further damage to the beautiful turquoise anodising too.

Undo the blue adjusters and pull out the elastomer skewers. Mine were in a terrible state, and took ages to scrape and polish back up to a useable standard.

These are the original elastomers, and they are very dry and hard. Luckily they've not melted and left the stickiest substance known to man everywhere. The internal adjuster (Black knob) has seized solid on both sides too.

So, just like the fronts, dismantle everything, clean it, and then rebuild using new elastomers and plenty of grease.

Although there is a specific kit to renew the rear of this frame, I'm not sure why the elastomers provided don't quite match in terms of length or width. Anyway, it's all I've got, and I'm certain they'll work!

Before we reinstall the skewers, we need to inspect the stanchion bush, dust seal, and circlip. Carefully lift up the outer plastic seal so it's out of the way.
Well, in true fashion on this build, the circlips had to have a Dremel on them to get them out. They'd actually rotted away that badly, they'd become part of the rubber dust seal. I managed to salvage them both, albeit slightly shorter than previously.

The rebound elastomers need extracting and replacing next. For this task I need a very long 6mm Allen key, or a series of extension bars on a 6mm Allen head socket. The socket needs to go all the way inside the stanchion and feel for its hole. This will remove the plastic rod and rebound elastomers by unscrewing it.

This came out of one side...

And this mess came out of the other...

New rebound elastomer installed, and the both sides screwed back in.

Once you've replaced what's worn so far, and fitted new outer seals if required, then turn attention to checking that all the rear triangle's pivot points are free and moveable. You have to drop the stanchions out of their crown for this. Guess what? All, yes ALL, of my pivots were bloody seized. Rather than opt to have the bushes pressed out and then new nylon washers back in, I thought I'd try the old WD40 as the nylon washers look really healthy. One whole hour of swinging each pivot back and forth whilst liberally dosing the joint with WD40 every 2 minutes seems to have freed them off enough to work with.

Once you're happy, pop the stanchions back into their crown, leaving an extra inch pulled through (this is the point where you'll need to add the new stanchion seals or bellows. Take each elastomer skewer and thread them back in. I actually added an extra elastomer each side because the ones provided just didn't seem happy. Once you've screwed them down, push the stanchion back down and tighten the bolts.

Everything seems to have worked.

Now, the next job is going to be awful, as I need to try and remove all the pitting and oxidisation on the alloy. After testing different methods in small places, I realised that wet 'n dry was the only way. Started off with medium course flexible foam backed paper, and worked through to fine grade. The end result isn't perfect, but much cleaner. Somehow, it offers a much better authenticity and patina for the finished bike. I used medium wire wool and WD40 to buff up the Titanium.

The most important part of all this? The suspension actually works!

Marin headset to go in next, then I might do bars, seat post, and brakes.

As said, your a lucky man :cool:

Looking forward to the progress on this :D

Niall.

So it looks like the black plungers screw in. Seems like a fairly easy thing to sort out. Now i need to make top caps that look like the original Manitou ones but fit the Englund air cartridges. The Englund originals are crappy looking plastic ones. I drafted up some plans and sent them to a machinist, they're fairly easy to make but with the anodizing in turquoise and black they will get kinda expensive.

Yep pretty cool bike,,,old feller I use to ride with had full sussie manitou,,,great find with no repairs or cracks,,,

Really interesting thread, thanks, will look forward to seeing more.
Always loved the look of these bikes.

It has just arrived. Can't see any cracks or dents, will inspect it more closely later. The rear end is all back together as promised, hopefully correctly. The headset has also been fitted.

The front did turn out to be a complete wheel, with a ceramic 117 rim.

Hopefully all the small bits for the fork are in the little bag.

7th September 1994 is engraved on the bottom bracket, which makes it easy to work out when it was made!

Attachments

• bits_f.jpg
    bits_f.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 6,208
  • wheel_f.jpg
    wheel_f.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 6,206
  • frame_f.jpg
    frame_f.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 6,208

My brother wants thumb shifters so picked these up the other week. Not sure if they're new but they look it, not tarnished at all and the top cover isn't lifting.

Also bought these boxed NOS White Industries cranks, the made in USA CNC'ed ones not Sugino. Think they'll suit the frame.

No joy with my wanted posts so far though:
Minty XTR rear mech
Answer Alumilite bars
Magura Racelines
Tioga Disc Drive

Attachments

• WI-3f.jpg
    WI-3f.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 6,201
  • M932-Thumb-Shifters-f.jpg
    M932-Thumb-Shifters-f.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 6,201