1996 Kona Lava Dome.

Spudly

Retrobike Rider
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Yet another one to the fleet, this came up locally on Gumtree too cheap and ten mins from my house so i couldnt resist it...

So off i went last night and came back with a tatty looking but pretty damn original Lave Dome in Orange Lava colour, few scrapes and rusty spots but nothing too terminal thankfully!

Ten mins after acquisition last night..

Had a cheap replacement rear tyre, and unfortunately the front 'sniff' tyre is badly perished on the skinwall so thats had to come off, ive fitted my maxxis beavers as its about to turn muddy round here and it needed a new bb as the one in it was worn out and wobbly.
A quick look in the parts box and i found i had a 68x110 bb sat there brand new, so in that went and i spent this afternoon stripping and cleaning it all thoroughly, here are the results...

Future plans are just to ride it and maybe up the spec level to xt, oh and replace the srt400 gripshift for my xt thumbies.....

Re:

Looks lovely Spud, I'll have a proper look soon. Love those Curve cantis!

Glad you got it mate your Kona collection is coming along very nicely, the weekend of ridiculous bargains eh ;)

The curve canti's are bloody artwork, i love them, fiddly as hell to adjust and setup but well worth it i reckon!

Definitely a weekend of bargains, where's the pics of yours you recluse lol

Re:

Looks nice spud , definatly a weekend of bargains and new bikes , thank you again for mine Chris. ,

One pic from yesterdays ride, did 35 miles on the old girl and loved it, even managed air out of a bombhole in our local woods, i cant usually do that but this just flew, and i landed perfectly, rides really well and is very confidence inspiring, i love it!

Re:

What a great buy , Kona have a knack for making bikes that look " right"
straight out of the box , my first brand new mountain bike was a Fire Mountain in 91 :D
Paul

Spudly":21n3zfbz said:
One pic from yesterdays ride, did 35 miles on the old girl and loved it, even managed air out of a bombhole in our local woods, i cant usually do that but this just flew, and i landed perfectly, rides really well and is very confidence inspiring, i love it!

That looks just perfect mate, nice pic!

Thought id bung a small update in here...

Since last post ive gone about another 50 miles on here and my back has persuaded me to fit some riser bars to bring the front end up a bit, so she is now sporting some period correct (i think) club roost riser bars, a charge spoon saddle with a Thomson Elite seat post, and i have fully re-cabled it inners and outers and fitted my xt thumbshifters, perfect winter bike now i think, just needs my clear crud guard fitting when the slop returns to the trails!!

Sundays random ride...

With my mate James who was on his newly acquired AMP B3...

Sunny days, dry trails and old skool steel, does it get any better??

Latest posts

Back