1995 Univega Alpina 504

Max Mudroom

Dirt Disciple
This turned up on the work intranet 'for sale' board and I thought I'd take a punt. I just wanted a cheap mountain bike for mucking about on with the family but I have accidentally become addicted to Retrobike in the process.

I remember Univega advertising in MBUK every month with a painting of their bike rather than any product photos, and my mate saying, 'how can you trust a manufacturer where they won't even show a photo of the bike.' So, I think this is the first one I've actually seen for real.

It was pretty much original spec when I picked it up; STX/LX mix groupset, Mavic 238 rims and own brand finishing kit. It still had the original chain, cassette and BB which were all completely worn out. the bar ends had been over tightened and crimped the end of the bar and the saddle had disintegrated.

The frame is really nice, double butted main tubes and stays, ovalised sections near the main joints for stiffness and special 'max mudroom' clearance on the chainstays, quite effective. It's built up into a light XC bike that handles really well.

I got rid of the original gripshift and replaced with shimano, changed the bars and stem for something that suits my size, and I think, suits the bike. Then I polished everything. A lot. Tyres are Charge Splashbacks and I'm pleased with the result.

The only problem is this is an 18.5" frame and is a bit too small for me if I'm honest, so no sooner have I completed my build I now know it is going to be stripped down again... but here it is for now.

:D

Attachments

• P1130783-003.JPG
    P1130783-003.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,460
Re:

Nice looking bike, I rate those Univega frames, very nice to ride and like you say they have several nice touches to the frames as well like the bend in the chainstays and the seat cluster area is nicely done too.

Re:

sweet bike man, love the univegas. I think it is a 1995 though. a 1994 would have been a 5.4...no clue why they changed the numbering.

Re: Re:

34henry3w":zdlh0h3j said:
I think it is a 1995 though. a 1994 would have been a 5.4...no clue why they changed the numbering.

Cheers, correction appreciated! I worked out it was '94 based on a date stamped on the handlebar, couldn't find much about them online. 95 makes sense. The guy paid £550 new but he couldn't remember what year he bought it.

I knew it was a well-designed frame as soon as I saw it; the giveaway was the little 'pip' on the drive side seatstay (for your mechanic to hang your chain on whilst he changes your wheel during a race, LOL). The forks are double butted, too, so it's a light bike even with fairly middle of the road components. must get the bathroom scales out and weigh it, it feels about half the weight of the Claud Butler I was riding at that time.

Latest picture of my Univega build, in fact probably the last picture, as I have decided to dismantle it and use the parts for something else. Trying to decide whether to keep the frame or sell it to finance my next build... decisions, decisions.

Just climbed to the top of the beacon near central Milton Keynes although from this picture you can't see how steep it is, except that the bike is still in the granny ring.

Attachments

• IMG_20140829_173055.jpg
    IMG_20140829_173055.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 1,349
Re:

That's a shame :(

But if its too small then its too small :)

If it was suitable for a 6ft-er then I would take the frame off your hands ;)

Latest posts

Back