1983/4 s&g cycles/araya something or other FINISHED PG2

longun

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
So i recently sold my muddyfox courier.....for some stupid reason, dunno, too many bikes...... ;) and thought "it be okay, who needs an 80s atb anyway, the pace et al are spot on". thoughts were wrong...again.

Well recently i was told about a really "old bike frame you'd like" and set forth in retreiving it from its hiding spot. it was not in the best condition tbh, some youths had tried melting it down and several key parts of the bike were missing.

But, every bike has a story imho, and this one looked like it had loadsa potential but this time, given the age of the bike sourcing parts period parts was not a plan.

So here it is, an S&G cycles ----------(fill in what you want) by araya, i know a couple of these have been on here and researched a bit of stuff, old araya catalogues etc and finally summised its an 83 frame with 84 components presumably built for export to other companies....and bike shops.

plans thus far are to clean the frame up and laquer it preserving the patina, clean the chrome and build her up using the odds n sods kicking about the workshop. need a few bits like stem bolt/wedge and cap, seatpost and cables, love ebay :D and will swap a few bits around from other bikes to build it something like. wont be an expensive build although it kinda feels justified but i like patina. Anyway, off to shed to build me a bike :twisted:

Re: 1983/4 s&g cycles/araya something or other

That's a fantastic find, worth spending time, effort and money on. Looking forward to this! Patina is a funny thing, with a bike of this age it is in many ways just part of its history...

Wow, top of the range Araya MB-MF26DX for free.
Would have cost the equivalent of £1300 in todays money.

Re:

Cleaned up well and top coat is currently drying :)
Pics to follow this evening, im really really liking how its looking! Could be a keeper along with the pace and kona!

clear coat added and the red looks alot brighter again, even better in the natural sunlight. the burned paint/metal came out okay and ive left it as is to show the story etc. just need to find some retrobike decals now :)

the chrome on the forks looks nice again and the bars are shiney gain, not perfect but not mullered like berfore, will start the build up tomorrow, post and wedge bolts are here now so no stopping me know, although the p7 build i had planned has kinda gone out the window for now haha

have not got the correct tools to remove the bb but it spins beautifully so will leave alone for now, quite happy so far!

due to someone stealing my internets and being crap with my phone, this is a limited update. its nearly complete bar a new chain and tweak/test ride but at present i can only offer these sample pics from the other day. found two non-matching brake levers so the all black lever got a swift polish and now they kinda match. my 80 spec xt thumbies decided to strip a thread so a longer bolt was found and i included a nut which works sweet as the thumby clamps generally have more thread than bolt ;). more pics after wednesday and when sky eventually sort our broadband (cos bt are shite and they lie) and maybe a test ride friday afternoon!!!

bars came up okay and its got the daisy seal of awesomeness haha

and yes, my 3 year old daughter is tightning her stem bolt, with the right size allen key aswell!

Back