97 San Andreas revival

Binny74

Dirt Disciple
Hi,
I thought its about time I started a build thread for my recently acquired 1997 San Andreas.
(Please forgive me as I plan build it using some modern components :oops: )
I've fond memories of owning and racing my previous 97 SanAn so this model year is quite special to me, this one could be described as in 'very well used condition' when I purchased it a few months ago as the pictures show.

Frame and fork purchased from forum user mynameiscasper (thanks again for everthing Casper :) )

I'd decided on a coloured main frame and forks with a polished swingarm and seat unit so my first job was to crack open the nitromors.

While I set about with the emery the main frame went for powder coat, looking around for inspiration I came across an early magazine picture which showed the first model SanAn with a white main frame, although not in keeping with the colours for the 97 model year I decided white was the way to go.....

Swingarm stripped.

Initial polishing finished, still a bit more to do, FSA orbit headset fitted, going with a green component theme.

I didn't plan to use the Z1 forks but once stripped and cleaned I changed my mind, I have no plan to run 'v' brakes so the bosses were removed before painting to give a cleaner look, not a bad finish for a rattle can if I do say so myself :D
Etch primed, top coat and clear coated.

These last few pic's bring the build up to date, I'll continue to add comments and pictures over the coming weeks.
cheers
Rich

Re:

Great looking project :)

If you find yourself needing decals I might know where you will find some ;)

Wow!! That looks awesome! The San Andreas was the first ever full sus bike I rode, lad who owned the lbs had one.

Damn... This happens every time when I sell a frame! Wish I didn't but I am glad it went to a good home! :D That white/polished scheme is looking ace as well!

Did I mention I have some adapters laying around to run it with discs? Yours for postage...

Re:

Thanks for the positive comments :D
I must say I'm loving this build and can't wait to get it finished, wheels arrived today, new BB ordered so making progress.

I'm thinking of getting the original 'aftershock' rear shock rebuilt but reading other threads people tend to go air shock fox/rockshox etc, has anyone had and standard shock overhauled? Is it worth it? I may try and get a good 2nd hand unit if possible either standard or modern.

P.M sent Casper ref caliper mounts ;)

Is that you Gil from retrobike decals? If so I've already purchased a full set from you already mate, great quality thanks! :D

I like this but want to offer a word of caution as unless you have specific formula brakes you won't find a disc caliper that fits the bomber as they had some odd mounting dimensions.

Carl

If you search on here there is someone B_3 (?) who made a batch of adaptors. Not too difficult to make one just need to know the sizes.

Good work but I prefer the green forks. But the repaint is a good job.

Back