Kona Kilauea '97 refurb - now finished

dyson

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Back in March last year I stripped my frame with a view to a respray but ended up just going for a refurb instead to keep the original paint. Apologies for missing pics but click on them and see them via flickr.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=246509

Anyway after a lengthy job (ahem!) I got it built back up this weekend.

So here it is before and after. Very pleased with the paint finish. Amazing what humbrol paint, t cut and WD40 can achieve, the finish is as bright as it is in the pictures. Sadly in storage it has picked up more marks despite being carefully packaged - should have used cotton wool!

Its no bling build and there are loads of fixes just to get me out riding as you will spot. Liking my new cranks but they need another polish and the Cane Creek 40 headset looks better than the previous one. Great to ride it again.

2012-12-18 12.30.15 by Ian Dyson, on Flickr
IMAG0335 by Ian Dyson, on Flickr
IMAG0337 by Ian Dyson, on Flickr
IMAG0339 by Ian Dyson, on Flickr
url=https://flic.kr/p/nxEHBM]IMAG0339[/url] by [IMAG0344 by Ian Dyson, on Flickr

dyson":gwn6v2oo said:
Thank al, it was your sage words that led me to the refurb route and glad you like it.

:mrgreen: and cap doffed - she's come out a treat so well done! It's quite an unusual colour and finish so it would have taken a few dollar, dollar bills to re-spray to the same quality (and don't get me started on decals).

So, how does she ride? I'm guessing pretty dam rapid if it's anything like my Explosif.

Well I have not been out on a bike in 3 months (that's a whole other story) so my fitness and confidence was not as good as usual. However the frame is so manoeuvrable and feels very similar to my Cotic Soul, has a similar 'pop' to the ride and loves getting air of anything. On single track it just flies through the turns. The Z1 is just so good and despite being 100mm it works great.

dyson":1ep6wu9x said:
Well I have not been out on a bike in 3 months (that's a whole other story) so my fitness and confidence was not as good as usual. However the frame is so manoeuvrable and feels very similar to my Cotic Soul, has a similar 'pop' to the ride and loves getting air of anything. On single track it just flies through the turns. The Z1 is just so good and despite being 100mm it works great.

100mm on that sized frame should be fine, certainly 100mm on the 20" Manomano is good. Pop to the ride; yep, that's pretty much it isn't it? When you reach the top of a short crest it's like a cork popping out of the bottle :D

Re:

spot on with your description of pop :)

Hmmm I'm thinking now about lighter forks - some Marzocchi airs maybe? Mind I can't believe the price retro forks are going for now so maybe not!

Yep, they are a fair price. And for once, justified in my opinion. They are light, give good travel and are well built. I think you'll be fine with those for now but if you do see a lighter pair and they are within budget, go for it. I keep banging on about my RC36's but they are proper good and make the front end feel as agile as a pair of TB P2's but not kill my wrists.

I'd love to ride one of these just to feel what the difference is to the Explosif. It would be a double :) :) day that's for sure!

Re:

Looking good glad you took the forum resident Kona heads collective advice ;)

I have a beautiful pair of Z2 80mm X flys in my FS thread which would look great and lower the front end a bit sharpening the handling plus they are a good pound lighter than the Z1's :cool: The decals aren't under lacquer so they could be replaced with colour matched ones :D

Back