Trek 930 single track XC..........commuter bike

1997BlackC5

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So it was time to retire (strip for parts) my Specialized Crossroads Comp, my commuter for the last 14 years. In that time I have completely striped & rebuilt her from frame up again to keep her going. But I think now it is time to move to a new (old) bike.

With this in mind I scored a very good condition 1997 Trek 930 Single Track XC. The last of the US made Trek frames before they moved production East. I wasn't intending on spending much time & money on the bike, I was just going to do my 27 mile round trip commute each day on it as these frames are indestructible.

However, today I was in the garden swapping some parts from the specialized putting back on the STX crank that the previous owner had replaced. Its rather worn but has still got to be heaps better than the abomination of a crank that he had replaced it with. When the rear tire exploded, blowing half the rim off the rear wheel in the process!!

Anyway the bike only cost me £37 off ebay & it looks like I will have to spend more than that for a new 8 speed rear wheel! No doubt I will end up spending on other items, grips, saddle etc in the process. So what turned out to be a cheap replacement commuter is going to be far from it............

Here are some pictures, as it was after I'd just picked it up the previous night. I'd be interested to know what people think as you don't seem to find many Trek's on here these days.

Re: Cheap work bike.........or not........Trek content

:shock: that wheel :shock: never seen one do that before...
looking good so far, looks nice and clean.. :)

Re:

:shock: that wheel :shock: never seen one do that before...

That happens if the walls of the rim get worn too thin by the brakes. Once they get too thin they are no longer strong enough to hold the pressure of the tyre as it pushes outwards on the rims.

Did the bike come with the narrow road tyres? If you removed some fat tyres that were only at 30 or 40psi and put some narrower tyres on and pumped them up to 70 or 80psi that would explain why it happened now. Better now than when you're riding along though. :D

If the rim on one wheel has gone, I would have a good look at the rim on the other wheel and possibly replace that as well. If the hubs and spokes are good, you could replace just the rims, if you can find a set that have a similar ERD (Effective Rim Diameter).

http://leonard.io/edd/

http://sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm

http://sapim.be/spoke-calculator

Re:

I bought the bike with those tires fitted, I planned on keeping them on their as I intend to use it for commuting duties. However I did give them a bit more air (75psi) & like you said, glad it happened whist the bike was on the stand & not in use!!!!!

I have checked the front wheel (the bike has two different makes of wheel) the rear I believe was the original but the front has been replaced at some point & looks fine. So new Raleigh 8 speed wheel ordered from Halfords today. When that arrives it wont be long before the Trek will be back on the roads as planned, after costing me a little bit more than I bargained for. However for the commute into London at least I will have piece of mind that the rear is not going to explode on me without warning!!!!!

Re:

Just fitted my new 8 speed wheel, whilst I was there thought I'd get a couple of new tires as well. Everything else has come from the 'parts bin'. Not an immaculate build but its gonna be my commuter so not overly bothered as it will be out in all weathers. Still for a £37 bike I think its excellent value even after a new rear wheel & 2 tires.

Re:

Quick ride update.......been commuting for the last 2 weeks on the Trek 930 and gotta say what a smooth ride, very impressed and a lovely riding positron. Still the new 'City Jet' tires must help on the ride front, but blasting past fully geared up roadies on a slick shod mountain bike from the mid '90's, there is no better feeling on a ride home from work.

Back